Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingsrule5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
My new MBP is due in this week. I am current running the 10.15.6 beta on my 2014 MBA.

I was going to use Time machine to back up and use migration assistant. What is the best way to do this?

Do I need to create a dummy account on the new pro, register and install the beta, and then clear it and run migration assistant?

Is there a better way to do this? Note I do want to bring applications and files over with this.

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
No easy way need to update to latest OS like Big Sur and then run migration

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
My new MBP is due in this week. I am current running the 10.15.6 beta on my 2014 MBA.

I was going to use Time machine to back up and use migration assistant. What is the best way to do this?

Do I need to create a dummy account on the new pro, register and install the beta, and then clear it and run migration assistant?

Is there a better way to do this? Note I do want to bring applications and files over with this.
Yep - you have to upgrade the new machine to the OS your old machine is running - its a PITA but it's what must be done. Apple needs to address this because these are incremental updates and it shouldn't be this labor intensive to migrate.

kingsrule5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Yep - you have to upgrade the new machine to the OS your old machine is running - its a PITA but it's what must be done. Apple needs to address this because these are incremental updates and it shouldn't be this labor intensive to migrate.

agreed. Maybe I get lucky and Tuesday the will release. It is beta 4 so it’s not crazy.
[automerge]1594440973[/automerge]
Also this got moved to Big Sur but I’m not on that beta. Just Catalina .6 beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.