Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
I am trying to decide on the ssd size to order and need to know whether I can install Windows using Bootcamp on an external ssd or whether I need to put it on a partition of the boot drive for it to work.
If I can put it on an external drive, I can get the 512GB ssd, but if not, I will have to order the 1GB ssd.

TheyCallMeBT

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
You can put it on an external drive. This video goes through the steps really well. I think you can skip having to use VMWare Fusion if you have access to a Windows machine. But I'm not positive, so I've asked him in the comments. I'll also be getting the 512 SSD, and installing Windows on an external disk for gaming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luis Ortega

blitzz7t8

Suspended
Apr 15, 2019
You can put it on an external drive. This video goes through the steps really well. I think you can skip having to use VMWare Fusion if you have access to a Windows machine. But I'm not positive, so I've asked him in the comments. I'll also be getting the 512 SSD, and installing Windows on an external disk for gaming.

I ordered a 27-inch iMac with the i9 and Vega 48 options. I also want to install Windows 10 via bootcamp via an external SSD. My question is, do I need an external SSD with thunderbolt 3 connectivity like the Samsung X5, or can I get smooth performance from a USB 3.1 external SSD like the Samsung T5. My main concern is that I want Windows to feel snappy and actually exhibit SSD performance. IE loading apps quickly etc...

TheyCallMeBT

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
I ordered a 27-inch iMac with the i9 and Vega 48 options. I also want to install Windows 10 via bootcamp via an external SSD. My question is, do I need an external SSD with thunderbolt 3 connectivity like the Samsung X5, or can I get smooth performance from a USB 3.1 external SSD like the Samsung T5. My main concern is that I want Windows to feel snappy and actually exhibit SSD performance. IE loading apps quickly etc...

Well the T5 is still going to be way faster than a really good internal 3.5" 7200 RPM HDD. Rough numbers.. T5 is 450 MB/s, HDD is maybe 200 MB/s. X5 is 2.5 GB/s. I don't think the X5 speeds are worth the investment for Windows tasks. But only you can make that decision.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
Well the T5 is still going to be way faster than a really good internal 3.5" 7200 RPM HDD. Rough numbers.. T5 is 450 MB/s, HDD is maybe 200 MB/s. X5 is 2.5 GB/s.
Do the ports on the 2019 iMac support all of these at their full performance?
Can you use any type of external ssd drive/connection to boot into Windows with Bootcamp, or does it only work with certain types, such as usb-c?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can you use any type of external ssd drive/connection to boot into Windows with Bootcamp, o
Maybe things have changed, but windows doesn't really like to be installed on an external drive. Its possible, but it requires a fair amount of work - at least that was the case when I tried a while back.

For me, I found that that if I installed windows internally, and then used the external drive for macOS, I could easily get everything installed and configured.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Maybe things have changed, but windows doesn't really like to be installed on an external drive. Its possible, but it requires a fair amount of work - at least that was the case when I tried a while back.

For me, I found that that if I installed windows internally, and then used the external drive for macOS, I could easily get everything installed and configured.

I had the exact same experience....total nightmare following different guides whose procedures where full of bugs(i verified via comments section i wasn't crazy).

Someone did recently comment to me that the easiest way is to install bootcamp on the internal drive like normal and then use winclone to install it on a usb SSD and you can then delete the bootcamp partition but i haven't tried this.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Someone did recently comment to me that the easiest way is to install bootcamp on the internal drive like normal and then use winclone to install it on a usb SSD and you can then delete the bootcamp partition but i haven't tried this.

That is how I installed mine on a 2017 iMac. I didn't want to have Windows 10 resident on the internal 2TB SSD, so I temporarily installed it with BootCamp, then used WinClone to move it to an external 500GB TB3 SSD which is just about as fast as the internal SSD. I then velcro mounted the SSD to the iMac stand. It is working great!

480G TEKQ Thunderbolt 3 Portable External SSD Bus Powered Portable 2450MB/s Read / 1850MB/s Write
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C9C9D5T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_0999.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.