Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SephirothXR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
Do I have to install a Windows 7/RC build on Bootcamp before I can use it with Parallels? Or if I already have it on bootcamp, I have to install it all over again with Parallels?

And I was thinking of only having RC as my secondary OS until my Windows 7 disc comes. When that happens, do I just delete all my RC stuff from bootcamp to make room for Windows 7? I'd also lose all my documents and whatnot right since I can't upgrade to Windows 7 from an RC.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Parallels can detect the BC partition, no need to install again, but if you want to use both, you need to install via BC first.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
You can use the Boot Camp partition with Windows 7 under Parallels
But you don't have to... you can install it directly with Parallels without Boot Camp too

Yes, you will need to do a clean install of the new Windows 7 when released
It will not upgrade
You will need to back up your data first

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

SephirothXR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
You can use the Boot Camp partition with Windows 7 under Parallels
But you don't have to... you can install it directly with Parallels without Boot Camp too

Yes, you will need to do a clean install of the new Windows 7 when released
It will not upgrade
You will need to back up your data first

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif
Backup data of the RC files, right? I probably won't install RC then for those first months of college. I'll probably get away with using just OSX for 2 months, but I know that I can quickly install RC if I HAVE to. I'll probably use Parallels more often because I won't always be using Windows 7, maybe for Microsoft Office programs and whatnot. Seems like now is the best time get a MBP. Snow Leopard will be a lot better and Microsoft is coming with what is supposed to be its best OS yet, but of course a MBP should be able to run both of those easily.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Backup data of the RC files, right? I probably won't install RC then for those first months of college. I'll probably get away with using just OSX for 2 months, but I know that I can quickly install RC if I HAVE to. I'll probably use Parallels more often because I won't always be using Windows 7, maybe for Microsoft Office programs and whatnot. Seems like now is the best time get a MBP. Snow Leopard will be a lot better and Microsoft is coming with what is supposed to be its best OS yet, but of course a MBP should be able to run both of those easily.

Yes, if you have Word.docs etc, you will want to back up all of your Windows data because you will have to do a clean install of Windows 7. The RC will stop working next year and you will not be able to continue using it.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

DataCabbitKSW

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
SephirothXR, make sure you download and burn a copy (and get your free license) of the Windows 7 Release Candidate _before_ August 15th. They are cutting off the downloads and new licenses then. So get it now while you can, then you can install it later. However, if you wait too long, you might as well get the full version (which is out on October 22nd). You can download it over off of TechNet if you haven't gotten it: http://tinyurl.com/832nco
Like MacDawg said, the RC only works until June 1st of 2010 (next year), but it also has a bit in there where it will start rebooting every 2 hours (abruptly) starting on March 1st of 2010. However that is over 4 months past the release date of the retail version of Windows 7, so it is plenty of time to decide if you like it and are going to use it.
Kurtis Whittington - Microsoft Windows Client Team

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.