Running Cable TV to my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cat Woman, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Cat Woman macrumors newbie

Can I get step by step instructions on how to connect my cable tv to my laptop?

All I have for the cable is the black round-ended wire with a pin in the center. Also, I have the previous generation MacBook Pro.

What products do you recommend I buy? I'd like to do this on the cheap.

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

You need this..

Then RCA cable to the hybrid then from hybrid to usb to laptop .. All software/cables are included...

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

As iPhil says, you need something like the Elgato eye-tv. The Macbook does not include a video-in port (nor does an iMac), so you need the 3rd party hardware and software that winds up connecting to the MacBook via usb.

4. MacBook.Matt macrumors regular

That thing cost almost $300. Don't some external monitors have built in TV Tuners?

5. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Eye TV

The Eye TV linked above cost $149. It works great and also allows you to record TV, transfer to ATV or iPhone and a whole lot more. The new version also has an FM Tuner built in. A great device

6. MacBook.Matt macrumors regular

O really? I must have looked at a package deal or something. All without a cable box, just the coaxial cable into the little device and thats it? Even my HDTV requires a cable box to get hi-def channels but this thing gets them straight from the coax? hmm.... I might have to pick one up myself.

7. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Eye TV

My Local Apple Store carries them in stock. They are very popular.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

it will not necessarily get HDTV from the cable - if the provider encrypts the channel you need cablecard or you're out of luck.

9. Cat Woman thread starter macrumors newbie