Running card as credit or debit?

dominordelingua

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
This may be an odd question, but since I'm going to be getting my macbook whenever they update it, I'm probably going to be using my debit card from Washington Mutual. However, my card has a $500 daily spending limit. A friend of mine told me that I can run my debit card as a credit card and that my purchase would still be charged to my account, bypassing the daily limit. Is this true?

I'm not so financially savvy, so if anyone has the know-how, I would really appreciate an explanation to this. :eek::)

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
This may be an odd question, but since I'm going to be getting my macbook whenever they update it, I'm probably going to be using my debit card from Washington Mutual. However, my card has a $500 daily spending limit. A friend of mine told me that I can run my debit card as a credit card and that my purchase would still be charged to my account, bypassing the daily limit. Is this true?

I'm not so financially savvy, so if anyone has the know-how, I would really appreciate an explanation to this. :eek::)
credit is always better to use than debit in these situations... but I dont know if you can get past the spending limit without it being approved... actually I think that is a cash limit not spending limit

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I would tread carefully on it. My old check card had about a 320 daily limit. That daily limit was a combination of credit and debit purchases.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
No, the limit is for all purchases on the card. You can call and get it jacked up though, or use a credit card and get cash back.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Walk up to the store, slap some cash on the counter and demand a Macbook.
Maybe. You might consider pulling out enough cash - spread over several days, and doing just that. Although, I might be wary of carrying that much cash around for very long.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Maybe. You might consider pulling out enough cash - spread over several days, and doing just that. Although, I might be wary of carrying that much cash around for very long.
or go to the bank and just withdraw it? :confused::confused:

or talk to your bank and ask for a one day temporary limit lift etc.

jlewis2k1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2005
in your closet
Almost every bank will temporarily increase the spending limit just for one day if you know you will be making a large purchase or have many purchases to make.

dominordelingua

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Walk up to the store, slap some cash on the counter and demand a Macbook.
:D:D

I could probably try using gift cards, rather than cash. Since I'll be getting it after the school fall term starts my schedule will be really tight, so having a planned day, and finding time to warn the bank probably won't be an option.

Thanks

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
basically, if you use the card as a debit card you might get hit with fees that you wouldn't if you use it as a credit card. use the card as a credit card, it works the same way, they just take the money out of you checking account and you have to sign the receipt instead of entering your pin number

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
<snip>...or talk to your bank and ask for a one day temporary limit lift etc.
Absolutely perfect advice here. I've done this before. Call them up and tell them you have a big purchase to make. They'll lift the limit (or set it higher) for you to go about your business, and then cap it back off when you're done.

At least, US Bank has done this for me personally - WaMu may handle things differently.