Running card as credit or debit?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dominordelingua, Sep 7, 2008.

1. dominordelingua macrumors member

This may be an odd question, but since I'm going to be getting my macbook whenever they update it, I'm probably going to be using my debit card from Washington Mutual. However, my card has a $500 daily spending limit. A friend of mine told me that I can run my debit card as a credit card and that my purchase would still be charged to my account, bypassing the daily limit. Is this true?

I'm not so financially savvy, so if anyone has the know-how, I would really appreciate an explanation to this. :eek::)

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

credit is always better to use than debit in these situations... but I dont know if you can get past the spending limit without it being approved... actually I think that is a cash limit not spending limit

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would tread carefully on it. My old check card had about a 320 daily limit. That daily limit was a combination of credit and debit purchases.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Be careful that you get what you need and is best for you.

Personally, I prefer a credit card over a debit card.

5. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

No, the limit is for all purchases on the card. You can call and get it jacked up though, or use a credit card and get cash back.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Walk up to the store, slap some cash on the counter and demand a Macbook.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Maybe. You might consider pulling out enough cash - spread over several days, and doing just that. Although, I might be wary of carrying that much cash around for very long.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

or go to the bank and just withdraw it? :confused::confused:

or talk to your bank and ask for a one day temporary limit lift etc.

9. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

Almost every bank will temporarily increase the spending limit just for one day if you know you will be making a large purchase or have many purchases to make.

10. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

if you have the money in the bank just go to the bank and take it out.

11. dominordelingua thread starter macrumors member

:D:D

I could probably try using gift cards, rather than cash. Since I'll be getting it after the school fall term starts my schedule will be really tight, so having a planned day, and finding time to warn the bank probably won't be an option.

Thanks

12. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

I know I get frequent flier miles only if I use it as credit, might want to check that!

13. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

basically, if you use the card as a debit card you might get hit with fees that you wouldn't if you use it as a credit card. use the card as a credit card, it works the same way, they just take the money out of you checking account and you have to sign the receipt instead of entering your pin number

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Yep! A quick phone call will do...

15. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Absolutely perfect advice here. I've done this before. Call them up and tell them you have a big purchase to make. They'll lift the limit (or set it higher) for you to go about your business, and then cap it back off when you're done.

At least, US Bank has done this for me personally - WaMu may handle things differently.