Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Greetings Mac Forum!

I have recently bought a MacBook Pro with OS X, and it works very well. However, I have noticed that when I try to install Diablo 1 from Blizzard Entertainment from my CD-ROM, it fails to initialize. Upon further investigation, I have discovered that the game, being fairly old by computer standards, will not run on OS X. I have read that an emulator, such as Sheepshaver, is available to emulate an earlier OS that will run the game. However, I downloaded Sheepshaver, and it did not install either. The application just sits there and has to be forced to quit. I do not know what is required for me to run Sheepshaver, and thus I am asking any fellow OS X users and MacBook Pro experts to please help. What am I missing to run Sheepshaver correctly? Should I even run Sheepshaver at all, or is there another program that I could use? Is there another method I could take, such as buying a Mac-compatible Diablo disc, or downloading a patch that permits the game to be run on OS X? I apologize if my thread is similar to another one which answers my questions, but upon searching the site, none of the posts gave me sufficient information. If such a thread exists, please direct me toward it. If my thread is out of context, and should be posted somewhere else, let me know which section I should post it in. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Happy Holidays!

bobsbarricades

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
it's a sad state that they want us to forget about Diablo 1 =(

I've been enable to get it to work at all, and have no clue how to install sheepshaver. SO I can't help. but I can revive this andhope that there is someone out there with an answer.

I want to code a native installer, but there is also a patch involved and... i just have no idea what to do.

bobsbarricades

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
arrr!!!!!

really? I don't hate, it's a lot easier to use than Sheepshaver is apparently, however I'm trying to get it to run on my iBook g4 because my mbp has GPU issues.

sooooo no crossover for me =(

maxeman

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
Georgia
just get d2... little of topic but... d3 will release for mac on the same date as pc.... hopefully i will have my new MBP by then

cloudcity

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2010
I would LOVE to play Warcraft 2 with my friends over LAN or maybe even internet, on OSX, has anyone gotten this to work?

harlow13

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2010
Indianapolis
Same Problem

I have the exact same problem, I even did the sheep saver and it just sat there.
So I bought new Classic 9 boot up CD's and it seems to flow just right now. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.