Running early 90's game on Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spook2517, Aug 5, 2008.

1. spook2517 macrumors member

How's it going everyone? I just started using a Mac again after over a decade. Currently I am running OS X 10.5.1 on my computer. Back in the day I used to play a game called Hemiroids, I loved it and want to play it again. Problem is this was on a non-Intel Mac. Is there any way to run a program this old? I read about a classic view, but then read my computer will not support it. Any help or words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You cannot use non-OSX software on Leopard. Sorry.

TEG

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sheep Shaver will work for some old mac games.

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Yes, Sheep Shaver can usually do it. I did it a few weeks ago on an Intel 10.5. However, it is not the kind of thing you do in 5 minutes. More like two hours, and you need to be an intermediate or advanced user. And one game didn't work properly because of some kind of issue with the CD-ROM translation from OS X to OS9. Never did figure that out, but it ran fine on PPC 10.4 w/Classic.

For the casual user, you are much better off finding a PowerPC Mac that still has 10.4 on it with Classic Environment installed. It really is too bad; it is easier to run old DOS games or Windows games on a modern Mac than old Mac games.

5. spook2517 thread starter macrumors member

Cool, thanks for all the help guys. It isn't a big deal, I just got excited with the possibility of playing an old favorite.

6. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72