Running Ethernet cables and setting up home network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jedi5, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

In the process of finishing our basement and before we drywall, I want to run cables to maximize the best I can internet/networking/TV viewing etc...

I'm very new to this so what I have planned very well might not be feasible.
    In fact, it might be over kill. But hopefully that is where some of you chime in and lead me in the right direction.

I currently have my PC and wireless Linksys router located in the basement.
    I am able to have wireless internet on the main floor but when I go to the upper floor, I lose my connection. Makes sense as I go further away from the router.
    My internet is dry loop DSL.

My plan is to make/keep my office in the basement where the PC/router/printer/iMac will be located. I want to run ethernet cable to the main and upper floor so that every floor will internet connection.

In my head I planned to run ethernet cable to each floor. From there, I want to connect each ethernet cable to an Airport Extreme. One AE on the main floor connected to a TV and one AE on the upper floor also connected to a TV and Dish receiver.

If I understand AE correctly, I can stream music and video to the TV it is connected to, am I correct on this? So, all I have to do is be able to open up my MBP connect to the AE and listen to music or watch a movie on the TV like I have planned in my head, right? LOL.

Also, from what I've read an AE acts as a bridge. So I should be able to extend my range for wifi to the upper floor and not worry about losing my internet connection, right? If I'm on the right path, every floor *should* be covered for wifi connection using an AE.

Thoughts so far?

I have this new iMac and MBP with all this potential and I guess what I don't want is to limit myself and use these machines to the absolute minimum.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

The Airport Extreme is just a wireless router with the option to attach a network printer or hard drive. It doesn't stream video or music. The Airport Express will stream music. If you want to stream video you'll need an AppleTV.

Also having an Airport Extreme on each floor seems to be excessive (and at $179 a pop, expensive). Personally I use one Airport Extreme connected at my main internet connection, then two Airport Expresses are used for music streaming and to extend my range.

3. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

You are correct.

I'm sorry, I meant Airport Express and not Airport Extreme as I mentioned.

So even with Express connected, I still won't be able to watch steaming video on the TV?

4. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

correct.

Airport express is limited to audio only.

Apple TV will enable video/tv, but apple tv connects to the network wireless or via cable. it is not able to extend or create new networks.

Ideally, in your situation, you'll need the following:

Extreme or Time Capsule in office
    Express on subsequent floors in WDS mode to extend your network, or separate networks on each floor.
    Apple TV at every tv desired to have streaming video or music
    Express at any stereo for music streaming

5. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Why are you suggesting Extreme, isn't that just a router?
    From what I've read <and I could be wrong> I'll be OK using my Linksys router. I mean I have no problem getting an Extreme but if my Linksys will work fine, then I'm OK with that.

As for Express, either you lost me or I'm not understanding Express correctly.
    If I have Express connected to each TV, won't Express do both of steam audio and extend my network range?

As for streaming video... I'll have to keep thinking on that.
    Not really want to spend money on Apple TV.
    I'm sure once I get my PS3 out of the box, I'll be like Macgyver and figure something out.

6. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

Ok,

So Apple produces 3 wireless devices that provide wireless networks.

Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station: Wireless router, printer & hard drive sharing
    Apple Time Capsule: Same as above, add wireless hard drive/nas to the idea
    Apple AirPort Express Base Station: Wireless access point, audio streaming, printer sharing

They also make the following networked media device:

AppleTV: wireless audio, video streaming

Essentially, you should have a router in your office, with WDS enabled, and expresses on subsequent floors to extend your network

Those expresses can be connected to any stereo you desire to play audio wirelessly through.

For any TV that you wish to stream video to, you will need an AppleTV or some other wireless enabled device that supports streaming through itunes... uh appleTV.

I make mention of an Extreme because that's the default router for a good portion of us zealots, and is what my personal setup is like, only I go in the opposite direction.