Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XTRanger

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I have a MBP connected to a 20" external widescreen monitor.

When I am running the computer in lid-closed mode, the MBP is driving the monitor at the highest resolution the monitor supports (1680x1050).

But if I am running in a dual screen mode- with the lid open, the external monitor matches the resolution of the MBP screen (1440x990 I think).

Is there a way to make the monitor run at the highest resolution while using it as a dual screen? In other words, how can I configure the computer so that the monitor and the MBP screen have independent resolutions?

thanks.

XTRanger

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Turn off mirroring?

B

Thanks for the advice, but being new to OSX, I am not quite sure where to find it. Would be very helpful if you could tell me where in System preferences it might be.

Thanks!

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Turn off mirroring in the display pref pane.

Thanks for the advice, but being new to OSX, I am not quite sure where to find it. Would be very helpful if you could tell me where in System preferences it might be.

Thanks!

Might be worth looking through OSX's built in help file to find these things...

XTRanger

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I was able to turn the mirroring off, and the external monitor is running at max supported resolution.

The trouble now is that the two monitor are acting as one extended desktop.

I was wondering if there was any way to show the same thing on the two screens (Mirroring ?) with both the external and internal screens running at max resolution.

I did do some scouting in MacOS, but I guess I am way too dumb. Everytime I turn mirroring on, the external monitor downshifts to a lower resolution.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I was wondering if there was any way to show the same thing on the two screens (Mirroring ?) with both the external and internal screens running at max resolution.
I'm not aware of any way that can work both mirrored displays have to be at the lowest common resolution.

What are you trying to do with the monitors? It might help us figure out what alternatives you might have.

B

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
I pretty much wanted to do the same thing that the OP wants.

I want the setup so that my MBP screen and external monitor- both show the same screen, aka mirroring.

But the only way to do so is to run both the displays at the same resolution. I don't believe that you can change the resolution if you are mirroring the displays. (Even if you do try to change the resolution, they revert back)

So OP, I don't believe that you would be able to set the individual resolution of each monitor if you are mirroring. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.