Running ffmpeg commands through php locally

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Macman1993, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Macman1993 macrumors 6502

Macman1993

I have ffmpeg installed on my macbook pro running sl 10.6.4 and I have enabled php on it. I am trying to use php on my machine to run ffmpeg commands to convert video. I have been attempting to use exec() command but it is not working. When I type the command directly into terminal it runs without a problem but when trying to do this through php nothing happens. I am attempting to convert about 600 short videos doing this and no programs that support bulk encodes will work. Heres my code does anyone see why this wouldn't work?

PHP:
    exec('ffmpeg -i /Library/WebServer/Documents/video.avi -vcodec libx264 -vpre hq -vpre ipod640 -b 250k -bt 50k -acodec libfaac -ab 56k -ac 2 -s 480x320 /Library/WebServer/Documents/video.mp4');

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. designguy79 macrumors 6502

Sometimes you have to specify the exact path to the program/script name. So figure out where exactly the ffmpeg is, and then call it like this...

PHP:
    exec('/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg ...');
    Of course, substitute /usr/local/bin for the correct path.

HTH!

4. Macman1993 thread starter macrumors 6502

Macman1993

I've checked and my php.ini file lists safe mode as off. I also tried specifying the location of ffmpeg in my script but still no luck.

PHP:
    exec('/opt/local/bin/ffmpeg -i /Library/WebServer/Documents/video.avi -vcodec libx264 -vpre hq -vpre ipod640 -b 250k -bt 50k -acodec libfaac -ab 56k -ac 2 -s 480x320 /Library/WebServer/Documents/video.mp4');
    Just to give it a shot I also tried this with no luck.

PHP:
    define('FFMPEG_LIBRARY''/opt/local/bin/ffmpeg ');
    $exec_string FFMPEG_LIBRARY.' -i /Library/WebServer/Documents/video.avi -vcodec libx264 -vpre hq -vpre ipod640 -b 250k -bt 50k -acodec libfaac -ab 56k -ac 2 -s 480x320 /Library/WebServer/Documents/video.mp4';
    exec($exec_string);

5. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

When you say "no luck" — what do you see when you run the script (I guess you're running it in a web browser).

What happens if you run the php script from the command line?

Code:
    php path/to/script.php

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

7. Macman1993 thread starter macrumors 6502

Macman1993

Thanks, the idea about running the script through terminal worked and the video converted. I'm trying to use php to run the ffmpeg conversion on all the flv files I have in a folder so I have added to the script to make it loop through all the files and attempt to convert the flv files. Whenever I run this through terminal it wont convert the videos though. I know my conversion command is working fine and I can move the commands out of the "if ($ext=='flv')" statement and it will work. I need to check that these are flv files so I don't try and convert the wrong things but it simply will not work. And terminal doesn't display any errors or even the text "its an flv".

PHP:

<?php

$dir 
    opendir(".");

while ((
    $file readdir($dir)) !== false) {

$ext substr($filestrrpos($file'.') + 1) ;

//Checks that the file is an flv file so I don't convert files I don't want converted (this condition breaks the script when run through terminal)

if ($ext=='flv') {

//Used for testing in a browser to make sure the condition is valid

echo "its an flv";

//Code to convert the videos which will not work inside this if loop

$exec_string ='/opt/local/bin/ffmpeg -i /Library/WebServer/Documents/video.flv -vcodec libx264 -vpre hq -vpre ipod640 -b 250k -bt 50k -acodec libfaac -ab 56k -ac 2 -s 480x320 /Library/WebServer/Documents/video.mp4';

exec($exec_string);
               }

}
    ?>

Oddly enough if I change the condition "if ($ext=='flv')" to something I know is true like "if (1==1)" it runs. I know the condition is working because when viewed in a browser the text "Its an flv" is showing up the proper amount of times.

Can someone please explain what is happening I am at a loss here.