running games (red alert 2) in vista using parallels on a macbook

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by austriker27, Jun 1, 2008.

1. austriker27 macrumors newbie

okay so i bought a macbook last july (before college) and with it i bought vista and parallels (now i realize i should have bought xp...) . so i am trying to get red alert 2 to work with it. the installer worked great but when i run the game i do not get video. i can hear the sound but no video. the same happens with navy field. both games are old and do not require fast processors (ex. red alert 2 says minimum pen II processor) and so i believe it has somethign to do with direct x or video support in parallels. i am thinking of switching to boot camp and runnig vista that way but first i figure i should check to see if ra2 will run successfuly under parallels... help much appreciated, questions, just ask thanks.. hopefully my post is clear

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Did you try changing the compatibility mode for the RA.exe? Also note RA only runs at certain resolutions. If you drag the parallels window to resize it mightl go black. After you patch the game the res goes up to 1024/768.

3. austriker27 thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i do that? is it in windows or red alert? yes i did realize that it goes black when i drag the window bigger so i dont anymore

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

It's in Windows. Right click on the exe and change the compatibility to a previous version of windows.