Running HiDPI resolution on external Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Galatian, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Galatian macrumors 6502

Galatian

Hey guys,

I know this has been asked before but nothing has helped me so far. I'm running a late 2012 13" rMBP on Maverick with a 2560x1440 external display. Now I would like to get a nice 1280x720 HiDPI resolution on the external display. I already tried the trick with the terminal command, but it won't show other options in the option menu. I also installed switchresx, but selecting 720p (HiDPI) and restarting will only result in my Mac freezing at starting until I unplug the external display and creating a custom scaled resolution will also not work. The only HiDPI resolution I got to work with Switchresx is 1920x1080 which is admittedly much better for my eyes, but still not what I want. Does anybody have a resolution for my problem?

Best in advance!

2. relyes macrumors newbie

I'm trying to output 1080p HiDPI on an extrenal monitor from a MBP 15", and I've not been able to do this on Mavericks. It sounds like you found a solution? What is the terminal command trick you referenced? I have SwitchresX installed, but I'm not seeing any HiDPI options for my external display.

3. Galatian thread starter macrumors 6502

Galatian

I ran the following line in Terminal, which is what I found online:

Code:
    sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool YES
    Log out and in again.

For me this didn't enable any new HiDPI option, but in the SwitchresX menu I can select 1080p HiDPI mode now, see attachment.
    For the love of god I can't select the 720p HiDPI option, which is what I actually want.

Attached Files:

4. relyes macrumors newbie

well, i ran this terminal command, and it appears that the 1080p 31Hz HiDPI option is now visible and enabled in SwitchResX, but when I try to apply it, nothing happens. I don't know why this is sometimes the case with SRX, but damn if it's not frustrating. Not sure where to go from here. I had a great setup on Mountain Lion using Tom Horvath's patch for the 165Mhz clock ceiling patch, but post-Mavericks, I just can't get 1080p HiDPI on an external display.

(FWIW, I'm using the Seiki 50" 4K TV, which is otherwise a crazy awesome 2nd monitor if you turn down torch mode).

5. robbiet480 macrumors newbie

I'm also having the same issue, but with the 39" Seiki, and the latest 15" MBP w/ Retina.

6. vicjang, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014

vicjang macrumors newbie

Was anyone able to resolve the issue?

I was using a 11" MacBook Air connected to a Thunderbolt display.
    The terminal command worked and I can see the HiDPI options in System Preferences. I was able to use 1280x720 HiDPI with this setup.

However when using a 15" MacBook Pro Retina connected to the same Thunderbolt Display:

1. terminal command didn't help, and it's not necessary anyway because it's enabled by default on MBP Retina.

2. SwitchResX did show a few HiDPI option, but same as the OP, I can select the 1280x720 HiDPI, but it simply doesn't do anything.

3. ResolutionTab(App Store) did not work. It gave me only non-HiDPI resolutions on the Thunderbolt Display.

7. vicjang macrumors newbie