Running hot Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ocean.yellow, Mar 21, 2011.

1. ocean.yellow macrumors newbie

Using Bootcamp installed Windows 7, always feel very hot compared with OS X.

Anyone experience similar situation ? Any software can lower the temp ?

Thanks !

2. simsaladimbamba

What Mac and Mac OS X and Boot Camp version are you using?
    What temperatures are you experiencing during what activities?

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Which Mac?

There are several tools around to boost the fans under Windows to cool the system a bit better, but it generally will run warmer under Windows than OS X. This is also reflected in lower battery life under Windows.

B

4. jinxednuance macrumors regular

I am having the same problem.

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on Macbook Air Ultimate using Parallels 6.

I feel whenever I ran Windows 7, the machine would turn really hot, even though the fan wouldn't work, just hot surface (above keyboard buttons).

If there's a way around this, I'd appreciate it. It is not affecting me much, just wondering if it's ok or there's something wrong...

I have also changed the GB allocation to 2GB instead of 1 GB.

Thanks

5. simsaladimbamba

Running Windows as Virtual Machine (VM) is CPU intensive, thus the hotness, if it bothers you, you could use SMC Fan Control to control the fan or fans.
    Also have a look at Activity Monitor (Applications / Utilities /) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit is.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Windows will just naturally run warmer and use more battery

7. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Yes Windows will get slightly worse battery life, but it shouldn't run any warmer.

Do you have the latest drivers from the manufacturers websites?

8. ocean.yellow thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine using 2011 MBP 13' basic model, using the Bootcamp from OS X and the drivers from the driver disk provided.

Haven't installed any temp. monitor software in Windows 7, but I guess it reached > 80oC because it's about > 3 times warmer than OS X which measured about 60oC.

Thanks !

9. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

The drivers on the disk are now horrifyingly out of date, Id suggest you find the latest from the devices sites, Windows 7 should only be reaching 80C under a very stressful load. My Vaio idles at around 38C, and the processor heat a up to about 75C playing a demanding game etc.

10. RedAll65 macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro running hot under Windows 7

I have read that Windows does not recognise both graphics cards (15" & 17" models) and runs the higher NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT adaptor (confirmed via Device Manager - Display Adaptors) which contributes greatly to the heat issue (top LHS of MBP). Does anyone know if there is a way to get Windows to see the 9400 adaptor or to at least select the lower of the 2 adaptors manually? (Incidentally I have also loaded VMWARE which allows you to select the lower of the 2 graphics cards via MAC OS before running Windows as a virtual machine but performance is extremely poor and the dual boot the only option for me.) Other than the heat problem I have no issues with Windows on the MBP.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yeah... you didn't think Apple actually wanted you to run Windows on your mac, did you?

My Macbook Pro is supported by Apple for XP and Vista - not windows 7 - and battery life is about 1 hour, and 1.5 hours, respectfully. I get 3 hours in OS X. Apple doesn't do ANYWHERE near the CPU throttling that they do on OS X, and it shows in the heat produced as well as horrible battery life.

12. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I imagine your Macbook Pro's problems arise from having a dedicated graphics card running instead of an integrated one. My MacBook Pro in Windows can't switch to the power efficient 9400m, it's stuck on the 9600m GT. Since I only use Windows for gaming myself, I don't mind keeping it plugged in.. I'm curious if the new MacBooks can switch between their IGP and dedicated Graphics card in Windows 7 today.

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Nah, I have the ATI x1600 in my MBP, it's the only graphics card. It's quite cool under OS X, I haven't checked what's heating up my MBP under Windows though, I always assumed it was the CPU... if it's the GPU and I can find a way to down-clock it so I can get 3 hours of battery life instead of 1.5, I'd be quite happy!

14. midnightttt Guest

I'm in the same boat and used the drivers from the OSX disk.
    Where can I find the latest drivers??

15. rturner2, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2011

rturner2 macrumors 6502

Windows 7 runs hotter because it is always using the discreet graphics card and not the Intel graphics.

There is no driver that I know of that allows auto or manual graphics switching between the 2 graphic cards in your Mac when running Windows 7 (as it works in Mac OS). I have a new MacBook Pro 15" early 2011 and I have the same issue. It is as though the Intel graphics doesn't work within Windows 7 if you have a machine with a discreet graphics card.

Apple is clearly false advertising on their website by stating "Automatic graphics switching" without letting users no that this is for Mac OS only and isn't hardware switching.

Apple or Intel don't provide the proper drivers under Windows. It is a driver software issue that I think Apple are deliberately not providing!! Very annoying and pathetic of Apple.

EDIT:

Clearly unfair

As a consumer, how do I know before I order my hardware from Apple what will work and what won't work under Windows 7.

I mean, should I assume the CPU or SDXC card slot doesn't work under Windows. Or the screen at full resolution?

Apple needs to provide the proper drivers for Intel graphics and auto or manual switching if they are supporting Windows 7 via Bootcamp!

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This isn't false advertising at all. The feature exists and works on the machine as it was shipped.

While I'd like them to be able to provide a driver that uses the integrated card or allows switching. They haven't.

Apple is under no obligation to make all versions of Windows work on their Macs (see recent removal of XP as a supported install), nor are they obligated to fully support and provide drivers for all features on the machine on a non-native OS.

Multi-touch is another one. The Mac OS X gestures which are advertised as a feature of the Mac and OS X won't and can't be supported under Windows. How should they implement a four finger swipe down (which brings up Exposé) ?

Time Machine is another feature listed for the Mac does this also need to be re-implmented under Windows.

B

17. rturner2 macrumors 6502

Apple supplies Bootcamp. They should support key features on Windows 7 (latest Microsoft OS) or they should specify what is and isn't supported.

Time Machine is Mac software so obviously this shouldn't work under Windows 7. As for multi-touch on the trackpad, where applicable, this is supported (ie. two finder scrolling).

All the other components work ie. my i7 runs with all four cores under Windows 7. Should I not expect this to work? The SDXC card reader and webcam works under Windows 7. All hardware works except the Intel graphics and the graphics switching.

Apple can do what they like, however, they should provide a clear breakdown on their website on what works and what doesn't under Windows 7!

PS - This thread wouldn't exist if Apple was upfront and clear.

18. rturner2 macrumors 6502

The battery life is worse under Windows 7 because the discreet graphics card is always being used and the Intel graphics is disabled. It has nothing to do with Windows 7 being less efficient that Mac OS.

Apple and Intel need to ship the proper drivers!!

19. rturner2 macrumors 6502

Sorry but Apple is not your friend. They are in business to make money. They are deliberately screwing people using Windows by not providing proper software drivers.

20. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

How do you explain shorter battery life and more heat on my 2008 MacBook that has no discrete graphics then? (And many other Macs that don't have discrete GPUs).

B

21. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I really think that's true on some of their product lines. On my iMac Windows 7 runs about the same temperature as OS X, but, on my Macbook Pro Windows 7 ran ridiculously hot compared to OS X, almost 20+ degrees warmer on idle (also, I always had the Nvidia card enabled, never used the intel one).

So either Apple either intentionally slows the hardware under OS X or has terrible drivers for Windows when it comes to MBPs. Or maybe both, who knows.

22. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Slowing down = less heat not more. (At least that's how Turbo Boost and related technologies work) as the system heats up it slows down to cool off.

In most cases Apple uses and you can install and use the latest OEM video driver, so how is Apple involved?

There may be some peripheral issues about how and when the fans turn on, which may be Apple's fault.

I'm sorry that the automatic discrete/integrated graphics switching is a feature that is supported by means of the tight hardware/software integration of Mac OS X on Mac hardware, but that's just the way it is.

B

23. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Sorry if I wasn't too clear, what I mean is Apple might be slowing down the hardware on the Macbook Pro under OS X to keep it cooler but it can't do that when you're running Windows, which could be why Macbook Pros runs hotter under Windows than OS X.

24. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sorry. I see how how meant that. I've run hard-core CPU intensive MATLAB under both OSes and the (slight) edge goes to OS X, so there's no evidence of those kinds of shenanigans. I do believe that even at idle Windows does more than OS X.

B

25. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer