Running hot

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by iLLucionist, Nov 2, 2013.

1. iLLucionist macrumors regular

For some reason, my MBP 2010 keeps running hot (70-75 ºC) when I'm just idling with only Safari open (just a news site, no flash, no heavy JS) and Activity Monitor. Nothing seems to load my CPU. Any suggestions?

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

It is an older machine so have you taken the bottom off and cleaned the fans and heat sinks of dust. It may have accumulated there over the years and caused the cooling efficiency to be less. When the fans are running slower, the air movement is less and with decreased efficiency the heat will accumulate. This could be a solution to your issue but periodic cleaning of them won't hurt either.

3. iLLucionist thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I see your point. Thing is, and I should have added this to my original post, it just started all of a sudden when I upgraded from 10.8 to 10.9.

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

This is why I stated it regarding the fan speed as I feel, no proof just what I have experienced through day to day usage, that the fans are controlled tighter in Mavericks. When I was on ML they would not idle down as much. I think it is related to power control within the SMC. By trying to use less power the fans are idled lower than they were in ML. I watch my fans and they are generally at 500-1000 rpm lower for the same usage than they were in ML. This little decrease could mean as much as 5-10 degrees depending on the usage at the time for me as I am always running several apps and at least 2 VMs running other software as well. I would check your system as at lower speeds dust can be a very good insulator against heat transference. Am not saying this will fix your issues but could be the major difference between ML and mavericks and cause seen issues after an upgrade.