Running IE on Mac instead of Windows??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tech0925, Mar 19, 2011.

1. tech0925 macrumors member

tech0925

Hello everyone,

I was wondering about something and was hoping someone could answer this. Is there a simple software that I can put on my iMac that will allow me to run internet explorer without setting up a windows via bootcamp. Hopefully there is something that can do this and even maybe run additional windows based software.

The reason I ask is that I am a web programmer and I simply do not want to switch back and forth between windows and mac in order to test sites via firefox, safari, and IE.

Thanks!! :D

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You could use Parallels, VMWare or VirtualBox to run Windows in a virtual machine. A lot people do that since it gives you full access to Windows and all its features without rebooting.

3. tech0925 thread starter macrumors member

tech0925

Great, thank you! Do you know if I have to have windows loaded on another partition with these programs before installing them or will these programs walk me through setting up everything needed?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It will just create a folder to your Documents folder, no separate partition needed. It's pretty straightforward to do, the apps will walk you through everything.

5. tech0925 thread starter macrumors member

tech0925

Thanks so much for the help!

6. tech0925 thread starter macrumors member

tech0925

Ok got a question...

I installed virtual box and my widows 7. I noticed that the display box is rather small on the iMac. Is there a way that I can expand it to fill the screen? I tried hitting the plus sign but that just expands the grey areas and not the windows OS.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try looking from the Menu Bar, there should be fullscreen option. This thread and the VirtualBox User Guide may be useful as well.

8. tech0925 thread starter macrumors member

tech0925

Thank you