Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
This is unacceptable....

I got a powerbook a MONTH before they switched over to intel. A MONTH! and now 2 years later they are dropping support!

ITs a freeking 1.67ghz processer! Thats still a powerful processear!

Same with mine. I have a G4 1.67GHz PowerBook with 2GB of RAM. When I went to install iLife 08, I got a message saying that my computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

Remember on the Price is Right, the sound that they play when someone gets something wrong? That's what I heard in my head.

Cybbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
How does iPhoto 08 perform on a G4 compared to the previous version? It's the only app in the iLife suite I really use (besides iTunes), but it's also prone to slowdowns as the library grows. A noticable decrease in performance might put me off from upgrading (although I slight one might be acceptable).

Vinnie_vw

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
the Netherlands
How does iPhoto 08 perform on a G4 compared to the previous version? It's the only app in the iLife suite I really use (besides iTunes), but it's also prone to slowdowns as the library grows. A noticable decrease in performance might put me off from upgrading (although I slight one might be acceptable).

I haven't noticed any loss in performance. Really, it's just iPhoto 7 with an added sorting option: events.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Thanks for the tip - got iMovie '08 to launch, but just an FYI for anyone else out there who would like to give iMovie a spin on a G4 mini, iMovie requires Core Image support beyond what the 9200 can provide. I guess I'll have to wait till next month when I get a new iMac. :(

MorzillA

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Miami
:confused::( After reading these posts on the iMOVIE8 and the G4 PBs, and the G5s Intell I am wayyyy too confused to understand.
I am running an ol' G4....uhmmmm I believe its a 1.68 GHz (?) or something like it, (yes yes I know I should know what I have) running on OSX 10.3.9 It's not a power book but a great G4.
The iMOVIE that I have runs great, used it once to try it out!! I am waiting till year's end to do a major upgrade to my system!
Now my question is, should I buy a new Mac or should I keep my G4 (which I preffer) and upgrade the inside (OS too) without shelling the xtra $$$ for a new Intell Mac!? I would like to especially hear from those who have the G4s!!
Many thanks

:apple:

JDoggG4

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2007
I Did It!!!! Whoo

Hello gents, I a clever little hacker got SOME of Ilife 08 working on my G4 dual 1.8 GHZ machine (only 768 mb ram) this is how. Use PACIFIST and extract the files manually, it takes a while but who cares, I curently have Garageband and iweb running, and am moving on to do more, For some reason IMOVIE DOES NOT EXTRACT, so yeah enjoy:D:apple::eek::):mad::rolleyes::cool:;):p:eek::(:apple::D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Hello gents, I a clever little hacker got SOME of Ilife 08 working on my G4 dual 1.8 GHZ machine (only 768 mb ram) this is how. Use PACIFIST and extract the files manually, it takes a while but who cares, I curently have Garageband and iweb running, and am moving on to do more, For some reason IMOVIE DOES NOT EXTRACT, so yeah enjoy:D:apple::eek::):mad::rolleyes::cool:;):p:eek::(:apple::D

Um, every part of iLife '08 except for iMovie runs perfectly well on a G4. iMovie is the only application that requires a G5 or Intel Mac - all the other iLife '08 apps require G4 or better.

Running the iLife '08 versions of Garageband and iWeb on a G4 is well within the system requirements.

Time to take a chill pill.

I currently have from the iLife '08 suite:
-Garageband
-iPhoto
-iWeb

Running on my iBook G4, iMovie won't run and I don't have a Superdrive so I didn't install iDVD. How'd I do it you ask? I put the install disk in the drive and double clicked the installer. There's no need for Pacifist because everything bar iMovie will run fine on a G4 (iDVD needs a 733MHz G4 but still, it'll run.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.