Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macnificant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Ive had the AWU for a week and mainly use it for running and a daily smart watch. I went out for a run in the rain today and at the end of the run I tried the end the activity and it took me 5 minutes to swipe to end the run and when I was on the end activity screen I couldnt get my touch to end run. I had to go into the house and dry hands and screen. Am I doing something wrong?

Reactions: dk001

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Ive had the AWU for a week and mainly use it for running and a daily smart watch. I went out for a run in the rain today and at the end of the run I tried the end the activity and it took me 5 minutes to swipe to end the run and when I was on the end activity screen I couldnt get my touch to end run. I had to go into the house and dry hands and screen. Am I doing something wrong?
no, normal behavior when screen/hands are wet

Reactions: 960design and dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
One of the reasons I went back to my Garmin for my hikes. I like the AWU but it has been less than I hoped for activities like this.

ps: a small chamois square works okay for a quick screen and fingertip dry.

sarc

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2016
All you need to do depending on the watch version is to push the two side buttons together at the same time and that pauses the workout. I find once on the screen that shows up you can easily push the stop button.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I usually water-lock my screen when I run in rain. With the Ultra you can start the workout and it will wait on GPS signal and you just water lock and press action button when you are ready. When you get back, you press action button and the side button at the same time and it pauses. Go inside and wipe it and press end. Nobody wants to stand in the rain and look at the run-data anyway :) Not really a big deal for me (been running with different Apple Watches for many years in the rain - Action button makes it a tad better though)

Reactions: NME42

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Firstly, enable precise start in the settings. Then before the workout, water-lock the screen before a workout by tapping and holding the bottom of the screen then sliding up to invoke Control Center. Give it a few seconds to acquire the GPS and start the run with the action button. I ran a half marathon that way in the pouring rain with no problem.

Reactions: dsh3 and xDKP

BlackBun

Suspended
Oct 20, 2020
Wokingham U.K.
I have that all the time and when it’s rainless high summer, my sweaty fingers cause the same issues. It’s infuriating trying to stop a timed run. I feel for you.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Yes. Use the buttons to stop your activity. The rain can interfere with touch controls.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I have that all the time and when it’s rainless high summer, my sweaty fingers cause the same issues. It’s infuriating trying to stop a timed run. I feel for you.
Why don't you just use the buttons? Pause it with buttons - wipe your fingers and press finish

Reactions: MarkX

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
If Apple would simply make better use of combination button presses. Let's say, Action + Crown to start a timed activity, and Action + Side to stop. Then they'd have basically the same five glove-compatible, rain-friendly button-operated functions Garmin has. Actually, one more because of the scrolling on the Crown.

sarc

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2016
If Apple would simply make better use of combination button presses. Let's say, Action + Crown to start a timed activity, and Action + Side to stop. Then they'd have basically the same five glove-compatible, rain-friendly button-operated functions Garmin has. Actually, one more because of the scrolling on the Crown.
The Ultra lets you use the action button to start any activity you like. But I agree on the other watches maybe a two button press could start an activity.
The pause function by pressing two buttons works well. I wouldn't want to change that to stopping a workout however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.