Running iTunes, iPhoto, and Photo Booth from Google Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by interwebme, Jul 15, 2014.

1. interwebme macrumors newbie

I have a mac book air running mavericks with a 128gb SSD hard drive. This is not a lot of space for me. I have had three external hard drives in three years and I'm sick of them breaking down. I have signed up with google drive with the intention of keeping everything on there.

I want to know if there is a way to run iTunes while my library is stored on google drive but not stored locally? If not then is there a google app that will allow me to play my music from the drive but sync locally to my iPhone (ie have music stored on my google drive and on my iPhone)

I would really appreciate help with this one.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Shouldn't be this big of a deal, you should look fro common denominators in why they are breaking down.

You are creating more of a headache for yourself by abandoning local storage.

This is not an ideal way... the Google Drive app syncs with a local folder, so that local and remote storage is identical.

You can drag and drop out of browser I think, but that is cumbersome, and not going to be part of the file system that applications interact with.

No

You can store in Google drive, and flag music files as available offline, on Drive iPhone app.
    But you won't have playlists, song counts, I mean, that's a total wreck.

3. interwebme thread starter macrumors newbie

I had a dream; everything stored on cloud and accessible to all my devices. I'm pretty sure that's the way things will go but it doesn't seem like it's quite a reality as yet.

I'll still welcome any suggestions form anyone.

I'm having a look at google play at the moment. Looks like it could be a good option for music. It would still leave me the problem of how to get music onto my phone without streaming.

4. koerk macrumors regular

koerk

Thought about iTunes Match? Would solve at least your music problem and you could access and download what you want to your phone. At your MBA (I'm doing it the same way), there's no local music in iTunes. Where my MBA is, there is wifi and no need for the music to be local. 25 bucks is not a huge deal, I think, for what you get.

5. interwebme thread starter macrumors newbie

iTunes match could be worth looking at but I'm already spending $10/month with google drive with the idea of having everything in one place.

I don't know if there is a way of creating something on my mac locally which appears to iTunes etc to be a folder containing all the relevant files but in actual fact is a set of links to the location in google drive?

6. interwebme thread starter macrumors newbie

Just incase anyone is interested google play will do the same job as iTunes match for up to 20,000 songs for free. This covers my needs; it allows me to stream to my MBA while downloading anything I want to my iPhone.

I'm now going to look for alternatives to iPhoto, Photo booth, and iMovie.

Apple seem to be behind the curve a little on cloud technology. I hope it's addressed soon.