Running Lightroom from an External - possible?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by crashwins, Mar 4, 2013.

1. crashwins macrumors member

Hi folks

So I'm in that limbo period where I sold off my MBA (had an offer I couldn't refuse) and am waiting until June/July for the new rMBP models (if they even come out) before I buy something. My iPad really does the trick for 90% of what I'm doing on a computer these days outside of work, but my big hitch is Lightroom. I do a lot of photography and rendering in Lightroom is something I really need a computer for.

So, I have access to a plethora of iMacs as I work at a College. What I'm wondering is if I could install Lightroom on an external and simply plug it into one of these iMacs so I could do the occasional editing. Anyone know if this sort of thing is possible? Thanks for reading!

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Do you have the Installer, if so open the installer with Pacifist and see if it is a standalone App or it install things in folders like Application support, if so you are out of luck.

3. crashwins thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I have the original DMG file. I've never used Pacifist, but I can give it a whirl. Let me see how that goes. Thanks!

4. crashwins thread starter macrumors member

Pacifist has been a crash-fest so far..Maybe someone on the forum has direct experience with this.