Running Linux Programs within Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by barijazz, Feb 17, 2009.

1. barijazz macrumors 6502

I've really gotten into warcraft 3 lately, and am trying to set up a bot to manage hosting in the game. Ghost++ is the bot I am trying to set up, but its only available for windows and linux. I set up a linux program in Mac OS X a while ago, but I can't remember how I did it other than using X11 and the terminal. Is there even a way to do this?

2. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

You can't run Linux programs on OS X, but since the two operating systems have some similarities, it's possible to get the source code for certain apps to compile on OS X. The amount of work required ranges from "none" to "a lot" depending on how cross-platform it was written, and some other factors. So the first step is to get the source code. If it's not available, then you're out of luck unless you want to run Linux in a virtual machine or something.

--Eric

3. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

I just checked it out and most of the code compiles fine but some things need to be edited and I'm missing a library so it couldn't finish.

http://ghostplusplus.googlecode.com/

4. barijazz thread starter macrumors 6502

How do I compile the code? And what parts of the code do I need to edit?

5. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

6. barijazz thread starter macrumors 6502

I opened the stormlib.xcode.proj in xcode, but the compile button is grayed out. When I selected a file it lets me compile it but I'm not sure which file to compile. I'll keep experimenting, but any pointers would help. :)

7. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

The code itself says otherwise. A few alterations and it'll probably work. It also looks like they've coded a Carbon GUI.

Now where was that Xcode project found? I just used the makefile.

8. barijazz thread starter macrumors 6502

I found it in Ghost> StormLib> Stormlib.xcodeproj

9. barijazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anyone know what alterations to make or how to compile the code? I'm not much of a programmer so I don't have a clue.