Running Lion from a Thunderbolt Drive

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by smphoto74, Nov 5, 2011.

1. smphoto74 macrumors newbie

Hi, is anyone running Lion from an external Thunderbolt as in the R4 or R6 Pegasus or LaCie Thunderbolt drives? What's your setup as far as partition...single partition or separate partition for Lion/apps and another partition for images/music files?

I only have a iMac with 1TB hard drive and instead of installing a SSd drive I was wondering if it would be faster to run Lion on a Thunderbolt Drive?

Thoughts?

2. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Update?

3. smphoto74 thread starter macrumors newbie

SSD speeds

I'm booting from a LaCie 2TB Thunderbolt unit with 2 128GB Crucial SSD's inside and I'm getting speeds of 333write and 475read. Total cost about $726 including cable. Using the 2TB stock drives in USB units as backup drives. :) I use a Pegasus R4 unit in Raid 0 for my working files. To save money one could just get the Pegasus R4 and put in 2 SSD's and leave 2 - 1TB HD's in there as raid 0 and still get really decent speeds. You could boot to the SSD's and use 2TB for working files and that would cost about $1330.

It's FAST!

4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Thanks for the update, do you have any vids?

5. smphoto74 thread starter macrumors newbie

No I don't however there is another post on here where someone posted pics of the inside of the LaCie. It's very simple to do. 4 screws on the back, 2 on the bottom then slide out insides. 8 more screws to take off HD's. Put in the SSD and then screw everything back together. 8 for the SSD's and 6 to hold the insides to the outside. In Disk Utlity I dragged both SSD into the Raid box and created a Stripe Raid 0 and the installed Lion. :). I put the stripe or sector on 128k(under options when you drag the SSD to the raid box).