Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ame8199

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
Im running Lion and would like to go back to Snow Leopard just to be able to download this software program. Ive been waiting for them to prepare it for Lion, but nothing yet. So I guess I'll just revert back to Snow Leopard. I have the OS X install DVD that came with the computer.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? I want everything to stay the same except the operation system change...

Is this possible and easy to do?

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
Im running Lion and would like to go back to Snow Leopard just to be able to download this software program. Ive been waiting for them to prepare it for Lion, but nothing yet. So I guess I'll just revert back to Snow Leopard. I have the OS X install DVD that came with the computer.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? I want everything to stay the same except the operation system change...

Is this possible and easy to do?

What software program?

ame8199

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
its called "Startwrite" its a handwriting software for teachers and parents.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
You could also install VirtualBox which is basically a free version of VMFusion or Parallels. You can install a copy of snow leopard inside it, allowing you to run Snow Leopard inside lion like a program and seamlessly flip between the 2.

Might as well try this option out first as it only takes an hour for the installation its free and if you don't like it you can uninstall it like a program.

ame8199

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
You could also install VirtualBox which is basically a free version of VMFusion or Parallels. You can install a copy of snow leopard inside it, allowing you to run Snow Leopard inside lion like a program and seamlessly flip between the 2.

Might as well try this option out first as it only takes an hour for the installation its free and if you don't like it you can uninstall it like a program.

This sounds interesting...

Can you download the program within the program?

So when I want to download Startwrite...I would open VirtualBox...and it would look just like OS X Snow leopard.....then I can open safari, buy the program and download it?

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Here are full installation instructions for Snow Leopard (with Rosetta) into Parallels

Here is a link to a 14-day free trial download of Parallels

NOTE: STEP ONE of the instructions must currently be completed on a Snow Leopard or Lion Mac and the resulting modified Snow Leopard.cdr install file can then be moved over to your Mountain Lion Mac for completion of the remaining steps.

NOTE 2: Computer games with complex, 3D or fast motion graphics make not work well or at all in virtualization.

Then you would download your StartWrite in the virtualized environment for its use.

Click on this image to enlarge:

Attachments

• Appleworks.jpg
    Appleworks.jpg
    659.7 KB · Views: 74

ame8199

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
So according to the instructions, I cant use the disc that came with my computer...I have to use a CD that I have to buy from the store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.