Running Logic on Macbook Pro or Imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Alan Johnson, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Alan Johnson macrumors newbie

Hi,

First post here!!

I have been this reading this forum for a month now, I'm planning to buy my first Mac and running Logic, but have a question 'bout hardware.
    I guess that the new Imac will not show up soon( I want to buy before July) so what you think?

Should I buy a Macbook Pro 15.4", 2.2 with 2Gb Ram or Imac 20" 2.16 with 2Gb ram?

I really would like some advice from Logic/Mac users as I think that screen size is also important if you're running Logic(splitting screen into track/mixer and other stuff).

Thanks!

2. Jessy macrumors regular

I use a MacBook Pro with an external 1680x1050 monitor, but that's only because I work with 3D graphics as well. Paying more for a MBP is ridiculous if you won't be doing the same. Also, I hardly ever use an actual mixer window. There is a very capable channel strip on the left side in the Arrange window, which you can reveal more or less of by hitting Ctrl-P.

I also disagree with your iMac assessment. I plan to get the new low-end model before July. The G5 iMac was the first reasonably-priced machine that ran Logic like a champ, and the iMac line will probably be the best-valued music machine for a while. I love my increased portability, but the refurb prices are horrible compared to what they used to be, so iMac (or similarly-powered new product) it must be for me this time.

Get a white MacBook and a cheap external monitor.

Edit: Perhaps I am not being sensitive. If those two choices you gave are the only options, then go with the iMac. Of course, do NOT buy the Apple RAM. OWC RAM from macsales.com seems to be the best place to get it again.

That being said, if a MacBook is totally out, get the 2.0 GHz C2D 17-inch iMac and an external monitor instead of the 20-incher.

However, the new iMacs that are bound to come out before July are rumored to be doing away with 17-inch screens. So just wait for the new low-end machine. It'll be smoking.

3. tateforgey macrumors newbie

Macbook okay logic pro platform?

I'm interested in this thread because I'm actually thinking of buying a Macbook (not a pro) with the hopes of using logic pro and the applications from Adobe's CS2.

I'm wondering if this will be bearable. Specifically, will I be able to connect to other computers to utilize the distributed audio processing feature of logic pro? Does the lack of integrated graphics chip hurt Photoshop and InDesign at all or does that really just impact 3d applications like games?

As it seems is being mentioned here I don't really feel like kicking up an extra grand for what looks to me to be very similar specs (save the graphics card.) I'm just looking for something portable I can integrate with a desktop somewhere down the line.

Thoughts?

4. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Be aware, if you intend to use and audio orientated apps, that the fan on the MacBook can get loud!!!

Rich.

5. Ibanez Strummer macrumors member

I have a macbook C2D with 1 gb Ram and that gets through most of my photoshop CS3 and dreamweaver CS3 uses without many problems though I haven't really used InDesign. It just depends on whether you need it for heavy use or not. I personally don't so see little need for the extra ram or pro upgrade.

As for Logic, I am unsure of performance on a macbook as I haven't yet tried it, but I have a friend who uses Logic Pro on his old Powerbook G4 smoothly and the specs are much lower than on a modern macbook!

Hope this helps!

6. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Hi there, I use the this setup in the photo for Reason/Logic Rig.

Like someone mentioned, if portability is not an issue, then I would definately go for the iMac hands down, its cheaper and you get a large screen with fast hard-drives.

On the other hand, if you are like me, I sometimes go to my friends place to record his guitar or you want to show off projects or jam with friends using a midi controller and some plug-ins, then the macbook pro is the way forward.

A macbook will do but then you only have 1 firewire 400 port, whereas if you have the pro, u get the firewire 800 AND the firewire 400. Now I am aware that if you have 2 things plugged in there, they both revert down to 400 speeds but that doesnt matter.

For example, in my case, I would plug the MOTU ultralite into the 400 port, Remote SL25 into the USB, Logic KEY onto the other USB, a Lacie External hard-drive for recording into the Firewire 800.

Works absolutely brilliantly.

But when youre back at home you really need a bigger monitor, I cant imagine trying to run logic, reason, all the AUs extra on a single monitor...nightmare.

Attached Files:

7. MidiMonk macrumors regular

Logic Pro runs like a dream on the new MBP's.I almost bought the 24" IMac for the screen real estate, but i really need mobility.When at home an external 17" lcd monitor gives me ample room for viewing more parameters.The 15.4" screens is decent for coffee house edit sessions.The best advice i was given regarding desktop versus laptop is if mobility doesn't sound appealing don't bother, but if you think its opens possibilities/opportunities then mobile is for you.

8. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

i'm running logic on my new 15" 2.4ghz MBP and am extremely happy with it. i like the portability of it so i can record places other than my own studio or for doing rough mixes on my headphones when i'm on the go. my only complaint is that it does feel a little cramped on the 15" screen so i'm thinking of getting an external monitor.

if i were you i wouldn't get the current iMac. i think the expandability to 4 gb of ram makes it worth it to either get a MBP or wait for the new iMacs to come out if portability isn't a factor for you.

my .02

9. tateforgey macrumors newbie

Fire wire vs audio in

This is all very valuable to me. Thanks!

Besides the firewire ports couldn't you also just use the audio in? (I'm still just trying to determine the relative downside to using a macbook as opposed to a macbook pro.)

I already have external monitors and the idea of recording at my friends house is really what I'd like.

Also I have an iMac at work I'd like to hook up to the macbook when I was trying to do some processor intensive editing to distribute the load.

As I'm reading this I think I am going to go for the macbook and save the $1,000 to put towards a desktop down the line.