Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
London
I really want to use my new iBook as a portable studio out and about. I was considering doing some light work with logic and a USB midi keyboard.

Would I be able to install logic 7, and I'd so, how many software instruments could the machine cope with? If not I'd happily record midi instruments and transfer it to logic at home on my MBP.

Specs are 500Mhz ram will be 640Mb hard disk is 40Gb. I am also considering over locking the CPU as I have heard it can be pushed to 600Mhz?

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I really want to use my new iBook as a portable studio out and about. I was considering doing some light work with logic and a USB midi keyboard.

Would I be able to install logic 7, and I'd so, how many software instruments could the machine cope with? If not I'd happily record midi instruments and transfer it to logic at home on my MBP.

Specs are 500Mhz ram will be 640Mb hard disk is 40Gb. I am also considering over locking the CPU as I have heard it can be pushed to 600Mhz?

I don't think Logic Pro 7 will run very well on your iBook. You'd be better off using your Macbook Pro

Logic Pro 7 System Requirements

Macintosh computer with PowerPC G4 or faster processor (G5 or dual G4 processors recommended).
PowerPC G5 and Gigabit Ethernet connectivity for Logic Node applications.
Mac OS X v10.3 or later.
512 MB of RAM.
DVD drive for software installation.
Available USB port for XSKey (copy protection).
Low-latency multi-I/O audio hardware and MIDI interface recommended.
4GB of available hard drive space.

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2005
London
What about logic 6? As I said, I am only really looking to record in midi so I can play around with the music later on logic 9 on my mbpro.

sk8er123

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
Logic 6

Mac OS 10.2 or higher / Mac OS 9.1 or higher, a Macintosh computer with a 300-MHz or faster PowerPC G4 or G5 processor, QuickTime 6, 256MB of RAM and 350MB of available disk space for installation.

Your iBook will be able to handle Logic 6 fine (even if you still have OS 9:D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.