Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NikoBeaR

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2020
Looking forward to my M1 Mini and trying to plan ahead.

I've got 1 144hz 1440p monitor I'd like to run with this Mac Mini. My monitor has both Displayport & HDMI (1.4 & 2.0).
HDMI 2.0 spec shows compatibility with 144hz @ 1440p, so would HDMI be the way to go? Would this require a special HDMI 2 cable or would "HDMI High Speed" cable work?

To run via thunderbolt 3 port, I'd have to buy a dock right?

Selfie

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2020
I read a review that warned about using Thunderbolt to drive a monitor because it causes a magnitude speed drop for the USB ports. I'm using HDMI and it's working well.

Reactions: Jimmy James

NikoBeaR

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2020
I read a review that warned about using Thunderbolt to drive a monitor because it causes a magnitude speed drop for the USB ports. I'm using HDMI and it's working well.

Perfect. Thank you! I googled HDMI speed vs HDMI 2.0 cable and it seems like Hispeed cable should be sufficient for me. Crossing my fingers everything goes smoothly!!

Reactions: Jimmy James

NikoBeaR

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2020
Hi @NikoBeaR! Were you able to achieve 144hz? If yes, what cable did you use?

It took 5 cables that I had lying around. Most of them have "high speed" written on them so I'm not sure if that means HDMI 2.0 or not.

I had a lot of problems with 4 of the other cords (which were very beefy-sized IMO). One of them produced LED 'sparkles' at the top of the monitor. Another one kept cutting out. One didn't work at all. All I can say is get a cord rated for high speed/HDMI 2.0 and if you have display issues, change the cable instead of returning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.