Running Mac mini through Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Crohuir, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Crohuir, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

Crohuir macrumors newbie

I'm currently using a 2008 Macbook and I'm about to finish college so I'm looking to upgrade. However, as money is running short I'm looking for the cheapest option for now.
    Up until now I've been able to do my video editing/ photoshop on the college computers but now I'm going to need a powerful enough computer to be able to word these programmes. I can't get a desktop because I'm looking at jobs abroad as well.
    So I was wondering if I could use my existing macbook and run a Mac Mini through it? Or would I be better off spending extra and getting a MacBook Pro?

2. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

You can use Screen Sharing, many flavors of VNC, or Apple's Remote desktop App (Mac App Store) to control another Computer (mac Mini for example) from your Laptop. However, I think you would find this unacceptable for video editing as there is a bit of lag. If you need portability & power the MBP is a better option.

3. hafr macrumors 68030

I'm sorry for going off topic, but why couldn't you get a desktop because you're looking at jobs abroad? Unless you mean that you would be traveling back and forth...

4. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Save the money for an MBP, or buy a refurb.

Remote screen sharing sucks at the best of times, trying to do video editing over it will be a nightmare.

You may be able to get away with an MBA + thunderbolt disk?

Alternatively, monitors are cheap? You can buy a screen now (to go with a mini) for a hundred bucks? Low res, but still better than you'll get out of an old macbook or 13" mbp

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You haven't tried Apple's version. Works great, especially if you are on the same network.

6. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I have apple's version running right here on my Lion server; I use it to administer the box from my Macbook pro.

It sucks.
    It is inferior to RDP, screen updates lag or don't happen at all until you drag content over it, and it is 100% unsuitable for video editing.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I've not experience those issues that you are claiming to have.

Why do you think companies use Apple Remote Desktop? Oh that's right because it sucks:
    http://obamapacman.com/2009/10/philadelphia-international-airport-uses-macs-to-reduce-cost/

8. Primus84 macrumors 6502

This ^^^

9. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Oh, so you're suggesting they don't exist.

Neat, i'll just disregard the fact that it doesn't work in my fairly typical environemnt (mac mini running server on airport extreme network administered from macbook pro, all within 10 feet of each other - mini + AEBS in my home theatre, MBP on the couch).

Mac remote desktop is based on VNC protocol, which i have also been using for the past 15 years, which has similar issues on Windows, Linux, etc.

Look, i love the mac and haven't bought a PC in years now, but I'm happy to admit that in terms of remote display technology, they're lagging Windows by about 10 years - i use Windows RDP in my day job (unix/cisco/windows network engineer of 16 years) and whilst it can be slow over congested 256kbit frame-relay links, it NEVER has any of the issues mentioned above on local wifi or ethernet. Ever. It hasn't since at least 1997 when i started using it with Windows NT4 Terminal server.

And I wouldn't recommend RDP for video editing, either.

10. Crohuir thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, but I don't think I was very clear in my post. The reason I want to hook it up to my macbook is so that I don't have to invest in a good monitor and keyboard until I know I have a job somewhere. The plan is to run the mac mini through my Macbook until then. Mac minis are considerably cheaper than a MBPs and with spacing out buying the keyboard and monitor, it'll be easier for me to afford. But a mac mini will be easier for me to carry to wherever I end up going. Money is the main issue here because I've been forced to buy a new camera, so I'm quite short at the moment and I have to buy it soon to get the education discount before I graduate.

I meant to ask if I could use my screen as a monitor through a VGA cable or something similar, not through remote sharing.

11. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

This is not possible, screen sharing is the only way to do that.

12. Crohuir thread starter macrumors newbie