Running Mac OS X without Keyboard, Monitor, or Mouse

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mcc, Mar 4, 2008.

1. mcc macrumors member

Apparently, I don't have the skill to phrase a query to find an answer. :(

I purchased a Mac Pro to replace a PowerMac G5. I have one application that causes a kernel panic when run on the Mac Pro. As the problem doesn't occur on the PowerMac G5 and given that I lost the buyer for the G5, I would like to run Mac OS X 10.5.2 on the G5 without a keyboard, monitor, or mouse.

How does one configure Mac OS X 10.5.2 to boot and run without the above components?

The /Library/SystemStarter mechanism is used to start the application and it has a web interface to access the data. If I need to update the application, I can always use the Share Screen feature to log into the G5.

I do have a keyboard and mouse that can use with the system. What I won't have shortly is a monitor as it's been sold.

2. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Just turn it on. As long as everything is set up correctly, it should boot normally.

3. TheStu macrumors 65816

Once you get it all setup, you should be able to, like was said, boot it up and walk away.

You can then even use Leopard's Screen Sharing to VNC into for maintenance reasons.