running macbook without battery

GCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
162
0
NYC
this is a stupid question but will running the macbook without battery cause any problems to my machine either short term or long?
I do noticed that it runs a lot cooler with the AC plugged in without the battery as oppose to with it. It saves battery life also:rolleyes:
 

GCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
162
0
NYC
no one knows. anyone even running it without battery.
It might not be a good idea after all. For the 2 weeks I have the macbook, most of the time when charging and using, the stupid cord always poped out. maybe once or twice outta like the 15+ times I charged it that it didn't.
 

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
853
2
At the Airport. UK
ah, this is what i like about our PPC macs. dirty, dirty, magsafe. my powerbook runs fine without battery, as i found out when i checked my battery to see if it needed to be exchanged....


...dirty, dirty, magsafe.

:D

S
 

GCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
162
0
NYC
macOSX-tastic said:
ah, this is what i like about our PPC macs. dirty, dirty, magsafe. my powerbook runs fine without battery, as i found out when i checked my battery to see if it needed to be exchanged....


...dirty, dirty, magsafe.

:D

S
magsafe?
 

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
1,962
0
Sawtoothdude said:
I think the mag safe is the magnetic power plug that can pop in and out.
right you are. it was designed to prevent tripping over the power cord and having your notebook crash to the ground.
 

GCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
162
0
NYC
Killyp said:
And it works a treat :)
na...if ur constantly moving like I am, the cord always poped out. gets annoying sometimes. if ur using it on a desk, the cord won't be an issue.

now....running the macbook without the battery is safe right? recommended or not?
 

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
1,584
0
Gainesville, FL
GCY said:
na...if ur constantly moving like I am, the cord always poped out. gets annoying sometimes. if ur using it on a desk, the cord won't be an issue.

now....running the macbook without the battery is safe right? recommended or not?
I'm running on brain-fumes here, but I think it is NOT a good idea.

Reason:
Your CPU will throttle back to 1.0GHz and not go above that. The reason? the Battery on apple laptops does something or other having to do with power or voltage or one of those big technical words and without it the processor becomes vulnerable to something or other that sounded dangerous, so it cuts back.
 

idkfa

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2006
149
0
Canada
Another point, if you are running without a battery, if you knock out the magnetic connector, and you lose power, say goodbye to whatever you are working on.
 

GCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
162
0
NYC
idkfa said:
Another point, if you are running without a battery, if you knock out the magnetic connector, and you lose power, say goodbye to whatever you are working on.
yea that happens once. The only time I run it without battery
 

GCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
162
0
NYC
cool, thanks for the help
I just did it once to see if it works. I don't think I'll do that again.
 

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
1,826
2
there is nothing bad about running it without a battery, it will not damage anything. The computer might throw a bit of a wobbly at first but nothing happens in the long run. The magsafe is an excellent idea but in principal, it is not that good, it needs a stronger magnet on it to hold it in place more firmly.
 

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
5,395
7
San Francisco
I really see no point to running the computer with the battery out. It sounds like some crazy Mac idea and is really counting pennies on battery life.
 

Pressure

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2006
3,932
247
Denmark
Silentwave said:
I'm running on brain-fumes here, but I think it is NOT a good idea.

Reason:
Your CPU will throttle back to 1.0GHz and not go above that. The reason? the Battery on apple laptops does something or other having to do with power or voltage or one of those big technical words and without it the processor becomes vulnerable to something or other that sounded dangerous, so it cuts back.
It works as a surge protector and protects the precious innards of you MacBook/Pro from power spikes.
 

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
1,672
0
Ottawa, ON
Running the computer with the battery KILLS the battery's lifespan. Even though the mac stops charging it once it reaches 100%, there are 3 things that contribute to battery breakdown:

1) Lithium ion batteries undergo an unstoppable chemical degradation process the moment they're made. The process is slowest when the battery is ~ 40% charged. Keeping it in the macbook ensures that it's at 100% all the time

2) The macbook is hot while running. This warms the battery and increases the rate that the battery degrades

3) The mac recharges the battery whenever it loses ANY charge so if the battery drops from 100% to 99%, the mac automatically recharges it, sometimes dozens of times in a day, putting the battery through lots of unwanted charge-recharge cycles that also wears it down.

All of these things put together can seriously impact how powerful your battery can remain. It can reduce your battery's lifespan by as much as 1-2 years.
 

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
1,584
0
Gainesville, FL
um, my MBP doesn't charge unless it drops below 95%. It rarely does.
Also, i've run my MBP constantly since april, coconutbattery still shows it is ABOVE 100% capacity.
 

GCY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
162
0
NYC
hmm...ppl have different opinions
I'm just afraid my battery will drain pretty quickly since I'm constantly plugging in and out. I don't really need portabity right now but it def. will be useful later on. I don't want the battery to be draining on me with just 30 mins. use. The battery is pretty weak as it is right now.(just 2 weeks old macbook,but I'm pretty sure that how it is)
 

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
1,672
0
Ottawa, ON
Silentwave said:
um, my MBP doesn't charge unless it drops below 95%. It rarely does.
Also, i've run my MBP constantly since april, coconutbattery still shows it is ABOVE 100% capacity.
Go argue with wikipedia:
When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, the battery can be removed and stored in a cool place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the computer. [citation needed] (However, a notebook computer's battery prevents sudden loss of the data in memory during power failures and brownouts. Reasonable alternatives are the use of an older lithium ion battery or an external uninterruptible power supply.)
You're obviously more knowledgeable than them with your vast experience.