Running Matlab on PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by aajeev, Jul 3, 2012.

1. aajeev macrumors regular

So, this is just something I'm curious about and want to discuss with some of the Matlab users. I have the PowerMac G5 2.5GHz Quad core with 512Mb of memory. I also have a late 2011, Macbook pro with 2.4GHz i5 with 4Gb of RAM.

Now, I have been running some code on my Macbook, it's a rather simply code, but I'm processing some 2.6+ million data points so it usually takes about 40 minutes or so (45 or so minutes, including the load time of the huge *.csv files). So couple days ago I got curious and I want to see how it would run on my PowerMac G5. Unfortunately, I never let it finish on my G5, I went through about 20% of the data points and that already took about 30+ minutes, so if I scale it linearly it would have taken around 2+ hours for the entire operation.

I was a bit disappointed, giving that "I thought" the G5 was a rather powerful machine. And yes, I also know the technology is several years behind. I'm just curious if this is possibly due to Matlab, that it might not be as efficient on the old chipset. So this got me thinking, if I was to write the code in C, and try to run it on both Macbook and G5, would I maybe see a comparable result? Or maybe even faster result from the G5?

To those G5 lovers, I'm not trying to start anything here. I'm simply curious and want to see if running Matlab (or C) was the reason for the difference in speed.

2. thorns macrumors member

I am almost sure it's about the measly 512M RAM. What's holding you back from installing way more? DDR2 RAM is still relatively cheap, so go for it.

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

The G5 is a rather powerful machine, but it's less powerful and your MBP w/i5

4. kdogsup macrumors newbie

Sorry, but this is just another example where the G5 just gets smashed by current Intel Corei5/i7 architecture (reason for the switch 7 years ago). Mhz per Mhz Intel just crushes old Power4 (PowerPC G5) architecture.

I'm wondering if you may be running Mathlab via Rosetta (possibly on Leopard/Snow Leopard) and that actually may be slowing down your MBP experience. Have you checked to see that Mathlab is a Unibin at least?

At least your using your PowerPC for Mathlab and not METHLAB!