Resolved Running Mavericks server on a workstation

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by tomaki, Nov 13, 2013.

1. tomaki, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

tomaki macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I was just wondering if I anyone would know a bit about running OSX Server.

The situation is that I currently own a mini and an Mb air, and I've been thinking what would be the best way ( for me ) to do backups from both of these machines. And a couple of nights ago I noticed that OSX Server can act as a Time Machine server also, so that got me thinking if I could use the following setup:

- Install OSX Server on the mini
    - The air does backups to the mini via Wlan
    - The mini does backups of it's local storage via Time machine to an external usb-HDD

Only things I'm not sure about this are the following:

- Can OSX Server do all of the stuff that a normal consumer-level OSX can do? So I can run virtualbox on it, and do dev-stuff etc, do a bit of gaming etc, so it's not some borderline headless version of OSX that has all kinds of restrictions?

- Does OSX Server also have the same Time machine system that a normal OSX has? So I can just plug my usb-hdd to mini and backup away like on a normal OS?

Probably a bit stupid questions, but I've never used or even seen the server version running anywhere, so better safe than sorry.

Thanks!

2. Bear macrumors G3

OS X server is OS X plus server applications. It doesn't remove any features from OS X.

As for backing up a Mac running OS X server, I'm fairly sure Time Machine works as normal there as well.

3. tomaki thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I see!

That's just great news then :) I was a bit worried that the server-version would be a totally different OS-image but if it's just a bunch of apps slapped on top of normal OSX, I'm sure that there'll be no problems with this little project then.

Thanks for the help!