Running MBP at full throttle constantly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andymac2210, Aug 12, 2012.

1. andymac2210 macrumors regular

I'm constantly running my MBP to it's limit (getting a newer one soon), by that I mean the CPU temp is around 80* most of the time with the fan up at 6000RPM.

I plan to do the same with the next model I buy, just because that's what I need to do for work.
    My question is basically, will this reduce the life of the machine at all?

I've read about mainboard failures and graphics chips dying.
    I run my machine with an external monitor and a fridge magnet on the side to keep the internal screen off, so it's only pushing one screen at a time + getting cooling from being open (clam shell mode sucks).

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not in any practical time frame.

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Intel's chips are rated around 110C, and I'd imagine your GPU is too.

The only Apple computer with any seriously widespread problems was the old pre-Unibody MacBook Pros with the NVIDIA 8600M GT. I don't think you have that model, so you'll be fine.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I have one of the afflicted Early 2008 MBP 15" 2.4 Penryn, it`s pretty much running 24/7 and has easily exceeded 30K hours uptime. i keep it on a aluminium passive cooler and run software to manually override Apple`s cooling algorithm so the fan spool up sooner, rather than later. For the most part this keeps the GPU below 70C, although full load will push the temps past this point significantly. All original, barring recent replacement of both fans, two years in the Middle East, and now the Tropics, i think i`ve had my moneys out of this one :p

For the OP it`s not so much high temperatures that will kill your system, it`s far more likely to be induced by thermal cycling; shutting down at high temperatures and or restarting cold straight into heavy loads. If you can maintain a relatively constant temperature the system will have greater longevity.