Running Mountain Lion on current rMBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbrown, Mar 22, 2014.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

I've been keeping my eyes open for a way to run ML on the current rMBP.

The reason being is that I have an expensive bit of software that won't run in Mavericks.

In an ideal world I'd just clone my current drive onto a new rMBP and go.

Most opinion seems to say this not possible.

But at the Apple Store today I was speaking to one of the geniuses who told me that it is possible.

He said that it you wipe the SSD on the rMBP, then do a clean ML install
    to it. That will enable the rMBP to run. Then use Migration Assistant to copy all your programs over.

Anyone done this?

:):confused:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

While you could clone it, it won't boot. Even if it does, it won't work well.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Only choice is to have that software upgraded to run in Mavericks or buy last years rMBP. Of course if you want to try install ML then go for it.

4. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

5. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Depending on your specific needs, you could run an older OS X in a virtual machine. Although, if the software you use relies on OpenGL, OpenCL or CUDA, virtualization might not be a feasible option.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's not possible, I tried it on both my Haswell rMBPs before.

Not sure whether this way would work or not, but you could probably install a bare-metal hypervisor like VMware ESXi, create a blank VM, install ML and enable GPU pass-through for native graphics support.

7. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

The Apple guy at the store was sure this would work ( installing a fresh ML - then using migration ). He said he knew someone who had done just that, so they could run software they had that would not run on Mavericks.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Well it didn't work on mine, probably because it was preinstalled with Mavericks.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The 2013 rMBP came out after Mavericks was already released, that means ML does not have the necessary kexts for the Haswell chip set. In other words, you cannot load ML on a 2013 rMBP

The only option as I see it, is running ML in a VM which was recommended above as a possible solution.

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

And I figure the best way is to do it on a bare-metal hypervisor like VMware ESXi to enable GPU pass-through support.

If it's virtualised via Fusion, there's no GPU acceleration.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've run OSX via Vmware's workstation and server (not ESXi) At best the performance is plodding, due to the lack of GPU acceleration.

I'm not sure how much more performance you'll get using ESXi over say workstation. When I was doing it, I ran it on Fedora if that has any bearing.

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

In ESXi, OS X runs at native performance, because as long as GPU pass-through is enabled, you get native GPU power.

13. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

I'm not up there with you guys technically ;) The only VM ( virtual machine? ) I know is Parallels.

So could you run ML in Parallels?

Could you CCC my drive into the Parallels environment? Thing is I can't re-install this software and it almost costs as much as a new computer to upgrade it!! So I'd need to copy my setup as it stands.

cheers
    :)

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You can run it in Parallels, but you don't get any graphics support. So most apps will run slowly, and apps that require graphics acceleration won't even run.

The only way is ESXi, which is an enterprise/corporate-grade bare-metal hypervisor. However, it's not intended for average consumers to use, although ESXi is the only thing that will suit your requirements.

15. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

16. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Have you already got the rMBP?
    If so try it. Parallels is available as a fully functional trial for 14 days so you could try it.
    I have parallels installed but unfortunately I don't have a copy of ML to test it with.

Barney

17. yjchua95 macrumors 604

VMware's site. It's free for life (you'll be given an activation code upon downloading) if I'm not mistaken.

18. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

What's the software that won't work (so I can avoid it).

19. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

20. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

ESXi will not run on a mac. ESXi is an entire OS and needs to be installed on the hard drive a booted. You could run it in a VM then run your VM's on top of that but that is a stupid method lol I run mavericks in Workstation 10 just fine but... not sure the method on a Mac

21. yjchua95 macrumors 604

ESXi does run on a Mac, as a bare-metal hypervisor. Basically, it's installed in a pre-OS environment (so the sequence goes something like this: Hardware → EFI → ESXi → OS).

22. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

I tried on a 2012 rMPB and it did not boot and gave me the PSOD (Pink Screen of Death). There may be hacks but it's not officially supported and VMWare does not recommend it. A BMH is not a good idea on your laptop as your screen will essentially becomes useless. He's better off hacking an install of Fusion. ESXi might be out of the scope of this topic in terms of getting it up and running lol

23. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It worked on my Mac Pro and 27" iMac (the iMac required some tweaking).

The only ones officially supported by VMware are the Mac Mini and Mac Pro.

Either way, having to tweak around is worth it, because you don't have to put up with crappy OS X performance in Fusion or Parallels. At least in ESXi, you can enable GPU pass-through for native graphics performance.

24. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

Virtualbox on Windows can allow GPU acceleration but not a passthrough (works quite well for almost all games). Does the free version of ESXi support GPU passthrough?

25. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yes it does.

Afaik, there isn't any paid version of ESXi. The only paid version is vSphere, which includes ESXi itself and additional management capabilities. ESXi itself is free.

vSphere bundles with vCenter server and ESXi, so if you pay for it, you're only paying for vCenter and not for ESXi.