running multiple os at the same time

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by maigado, Mar 2, 2011.

1. maigado macrumors member

Let's say I have a system (I don't, at least for now) that has a dual or triple boot with OS X, Windows 7 and maybe Linux of one flavor or another. If I'm booted into the Mac, can I run the other Windows and/or Linux from it? Would I do that with Fusion or Parallels as if it were a VM, even though it's not? Or another way?

I'm assuming this can be done, but maybe I shouldn't.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yep, you can do that with windows for sure, even if it's a boot camp partition. I'm less certain about a linux partition that isn't strictly a VM.

4. maigado thread starter macrumors member

I just saw the link you posted when I went back to the section page in the forum. I knew it had to be somewhere here.

Thanks.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just note that triple booting on one HDD can be hard to setup and get working right.

It's much easier to us e a VM or external HDD for the "third" OS, if it's Linux or OS X which will boot fine from an external.

B

6. brandone macrumors member

I'm surprised that your not plugging refit. This would be an instance where it would actually come in handy.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

My experience with rEFIt is so-so, so I don't plug it. It is an option, but not one that is for all users.

B