running multiple osx versions using vm?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by smartmoney, Sep 23, 2010.

1. smartmoney macrumors newbie

I am kind new to the mac world. (1yr) and i just setup our office to use server 2008 and sbs 2008 in a VM on the same computer which got me thinking i have a copy of snow leopard server (from a project bid that i lost). Can i do something like this on mac?

I have a 27" i7 iMac at home and a mini that does nothing most of the time i would love to install SLS on it in a VM if possible.:D

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't see why not, as long as you have the hard drive space and virtualization software.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

yup. Can't virtualize OS X client (easily) but OS X Server will happily go along.

4. smartmoney thread starter macrumors newbie

So if i use my i7 IMAC as the "client" i can virtualize osx server? i might give it a go and see what happens.

What software? i have parallels. or should i use something else?

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

No, I mean that in fusion (for instance), you can install as many instances of 10.6 Server as you are (legally) allowed. But Fusion, (and as far as I know) Parallels won't let you virtualize any version of OS X that isn't server (like a retail $29 boxed version of 10.6) , due to the EULA differences in the two versions.

Didn't mean to confuse lol. Jist: you'll be fine.

6. gabicava83 macrumors regular

I use fusion 3.1 and virtualized OSX server with no problem at all.

Works well :)

7. phillipteeth macrumors newbie

contact

hey I saw your posting on the iMac 27" upgrade cables. wondering if I could find out where you got them? I would like to try and get a set as well.

thanks!