Running multiple USB devices simultaneously?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vvrinne, Feb 28, 2012.

1. vvrinne macrumors member

From what I have understood the Camera Kit dongle can be utilized to connect various different USB devices ot the iPad. My question is that has anybody tried to use multiple USB devices simultaneously?

I am looking to connect a MIDI keyboard over USB to use the software synths on the iPad. At the same time I need to get the audio out of the iPad somehow. Since iPad appears to support USB Audio my idea is to connect a powered USB hub with the Camera Kit and then connect the MIDI keyboard and an external DAC to the hub. Has anybody actually tried this? Obviously I can use the headphone output for outputting the audio but I would prefer a digital or line out solution.

Another option would be to find some kind of 3rd party kit that would provide the USB port as well as line out for audio. These kits seem to be more hit and miss though.

2. vvrinne thread starter macrumors member

That looks like it would do the trick. Seems kinda expensive though, especially since I don't actually need a MIDI interface because my keyboard can do MIDI over USB. Thanks for the suggestion though, this maybe a last resort if nothing else works.