Running my MBP 2011 for 24 hours?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SlickShoes, Jul 20, 2012.

1. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

Hi Folks! I am looking for some advice here.

This October I am taking part in a gaming marathon (24 hours non stop) for a local charity. I will be playing the ARMA2 mod DayZ and trying to survive for the entire 24 hours and will also be streaming my experience at the same time.

What I want to know is if anyone has any experience doing something like this, will my laptop at any point overheat or suffer badly from playing a single game for an entire 24 hours?

Would it be a good plan to source a second computer and possibly switch to that from my MBP at some point to allow it to have a break?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Absolutely not.
    I dont know your spec but I run my 2011 MBP 24hrs a lot of times.

3. Dwhite78 macrumors regular

Id be more worried about your body than you mac.

Stay hydrated with water, and don't eat junk food.

4. SlickShoes thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is an organised event and there are scheduled breaks for food, drink, toilet and exercise!

I won't be sitting in my undies eating cheetos and drinking mountain dew the entire time!

Thanks for the replies!

----------

It is the 2.2Ghz i7, 8GB ram, AMD 6750 1GB, 500GB 7200rpm HDD. I will also be playing in Windows 7 the entire time since the game does not work on OSX.

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Oh no problem at all.
    I have same spec and I ran it like 3 days straight with no problem.

6. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

If it doesn't overheat in the first 30 minutes (which it almost certainly won't) then it should be fine for the duration. It may get pretty hot though. Running Civilisation V for a few hours made mine uncomfortably hot.

7. SlickShoes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I have thought about the heat and will probably play it hooked up to a monitor, mouse and keyboard for the majority of it so that I can avoid the burnt legs syndrome!

8. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

You will be fine. I never done a 24 hours thing but I did a 14 hour Warcraft Raid before at high settings. But wow do not require much.

Anyway, my suggestion to you is grab two pencils or pens. Or even two stacks of notepads. Have the back of your MBP sitting on top of those pen/pencils. The bottom of your MBP gets very hot, so but lifting the back up, it help the heat vent out easier.

Good luck with your gaming.

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Heat is ridiculously uncomfortable so get a external keyboard and mouse.
    I ran Mafia II for like 36hours without a problem.

10. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

Had my late 2011 macbook pro as a backup for a weekend lan, turned out i had to use it most of the time, had no problems.

11. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Wouldn't hurt to have a fan hooked up near for a little extra air flow. Helps things run a little cooler.

If I leave my MBP running over night encoding a movie I turn on a small 4" fan just to help out.