Running New MBP with Lid Closed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by groove-agent, Jul 5, 2012.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

OSX Lion included an annoying feature where you couldn't keep the MBP cooler buy running the unit with the lid open while connected to an external display. This is crucial, particularly if you're playing a game. Sometimes I'll forget to open the lid and my video will stutter because the GPU is getting too hot.

There was some sort of hack for this under Lion, but if I recall, it didn't seem very safe.

I was wondering if the new MBPs always had to run closed or if they fixed this issue? I would never want to run the MBP with the lid down if the unit was getting hot.

You could run the laptop with the screen on, but sometimes games etc have issues figuring out the primary display. Plus having another light source from a second screen (namely the laptop) distracting.

Thanks.

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

The new rMBP vents from under the unit...so the lid will have no effect on heat.

3. Aodhan macrumors regular

I am playing Warcraft in clamshell mode right now on my 2012 non-Retina, it's in a BookArc so I would say it has good airflow. It's currently showing 163F for the processor and 176F on the GPU. That's not... horrible. It's quite a bit better than my 2009 MBP.

I am inclined to believe that the Retina would be even better at cooling than this particular model. I'm not sure it would be better suited for gaming, but that wasn't the question.

4. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd be worried about the excessive heat on the screen while closed. I know with my current model (with the 8600GT GPU) running Warcraft closed the FPS tends to stutter even if I limited the frames to 30 FPS.

5. Aftershocker macrumors member

I haven't even considered that, but the think is with the macbook its such an expensive peace of kit I always take out the apple care and have 3 years peace of mind if something goes wrong. That way I can use the machine however I please without having to worry.

Don't get me wrong with a $500 laptop I couldn't give a toss, but with a peace of kit costing several thousand, I sleep better at night with applecare :D

I'd actually kinda be hoping it develops an issue in the third year and needs replacing :rolleyes:

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Install SMC Fan Control and bump your minimum speeds up a little.

Honestly, amazed the hardware management even allows it to get so hot that performance actually falls.

Any laptop will run a bit warmer closed, maybe not to an extent to affect performance, but they will be warmer.

I would express concern about stuttering / frame loss issues stemming from heat, if that were my own laptop.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's always been true for all Mac notebooks. None have ever vented through the keyboard. Closing the lid slightly inhibits heat dissipation, but not enough to cause concern.

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

True, but the new one has a new vent system that is supposed to work even better.

9. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

SMC wont help. While gaming my fan is going full speed already. Even with the lid open i can fee a lot of head come from the top of the keyboard near the screen. This is why i want to keep the lid open.

----------

I think only the non-R MBP benefits from the new cooling. If I got a new unit, it woudl be an antigare unit.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, only the MBP with Retina Display has the newly redesigned cooling system. The non-R MBPs have the same cooling system as before.

11. eron macrumors 6502

You can run it in clamshell mode with the lid open. Stick a magnet on the bottom corner of the speaker grill that the mbp react to. 17" is on the right. Don't know where is the rmbp's. Basically a magnet on the lid reacts with a part on the main chassis to tell the system that the lid is closed.

I use a simple magnet that came with flyers.

And yes, it helps it to maintain a lower operating temp.

Credit to a YouTube video I found.