Running Non-EFI nVidia card and reset NVRAM - Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by audioamtron, Feb 6, 2016.

1. audioamtron macrumors newbie

audioamtron

I may already know the answer to this, but I figured I'd ask here anyway. I have a non-EFI nVidia GTX 750 Ti that has been working beautifully in my Mac Pro 3,1 with the nVidia web driver on El Capitan. I decided to go on one of my "computer adventures" last night and install Windows on one of my other hard drives. I tried to boot from USB to install Windows, which didn't work (and I knew better, but tried it anyway). I was stuck with the "no boot device screen". I thought, "resetting the NVRAM should fix this." Well, it also "fixed" my computer's ability to use its graphics card - apparently the NVRAM reset sets MacOS back to its default video driver. Thus, now my card displays nothing whatsoever. I have ordered an old mac-specific card from ebay, but in the mean-time, is there a way I can get MacOS to use my card? I really would like to use my computer.

2. netkas macrumors 65816

I think you need to use either remote desktop sharing or remtoe login (ssh) then enable webdriver (in case of ssh, add nvda_drv=1 to boot-args)

3. audioamtron thread starter macrumors newbie

audioamtron

I think I saw somewhere that I'll need to remove the card to make the mac pro boot so I can use those methods, due to the OS Kernel Panicking. Does that sound correct?

Also, will I have needed to enable ssh access or remote login before hand?

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Hold "X" when you boot.

This will boot from OSX without reset PRAM.

5. nigelbb macrumors 6502a

The problem is that the OP already reset PRAM.

Holding 'X' will "Start up from an OS X startup volume when the Mac would otherwise start up from a non-OS X startup volume." i.e. if it set to boot from a Windows volume it will instead boot from OS X without any other intervention required.

6. audioamtron thread starter macrumors newbie

audioamtron

Ah well.. thanks for the help guys. I have a graphics card coming that I can fix it with. I should have been more careful. I actually tried the "X" thing first, but it didn't work (I probably timed it wrong).

7. pigsyn macrumors member

pigsyn

If you only have a non EFI and Unsupported by Apple GPU you should avoid reseting PRAM because it resets nvram boot-args for nvidia driver ... and put you in a kernel panick loop at boot until you plug back your GT120 or ATI 5770.

For windows installation with a non EFI-GPU (not tested under El Crapitan):
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-windows-7-and-gtx-970.1926015/#post-22055803

If you're under El Crapitan, bootChamp no longer works because of System Integrity Protection.
    You will need to go to startup disk under OSX and bootcamp in Windows to switch OS.

8. Neanderphil macrumors member

Neanderphil

Use apple voiceover. http://www.apple.com/uk/accessibility/osx/voiceover/

It's a bit tricky to get the hang of, but does the job.

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yep.

10. zenasprime macrumors newbie

Thanks, this worked like a charm for me. :D