Running not-purchased version of Mountain Lion and want to install original version!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LvdT, May 16, 2013.

1. LvdT macrumors newbie

Dear Macrumors members,

I'm using a Macbook Pro 13" i7 (Mid-2012). Originally it was purchased by a guy who never used it. I'm pretty sure he downloaded this version of OS X from the internet instead of paying for it.

I'd like to clean install the Mac, because some applications like iPhoto and iMovie still pop up with questions about his account although I deleted it, and I have problems updating that software. I'd like to purchase Mountain Lion OS X from the Apple store for the small amount of €17,99.

I'm not a computer expert. What is the best way to handle?

Thanks in advance for all the advice!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You can wipe the drive, install ML then get a legit copy of iLife and install that. Should solve your problems.

3. LvdT thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I install it on a wiped drive? The laptop is empty when I wiped it right? I have no idea what the laptop will do when I wiped it. Will it launch?

4. Lyshen macrumors 6502

There's two ways to wipe and install.

One is to purchase ML, then use recovery partition to erase and then install ML, it should ask for Apple ID account verification to reinstall.

Second way is easier, make a genius appointment and take it to an Apple Store. Ask them to do an erase and install for you.

(Assuming an Apple Store is near you)

5. Bear macrumors G3

You should be able to restore the computer using Internet Recovery. That computer is probably already licensed for Mountain Lion and will install that. If not it will install Lion, then you can buy Mountain Lion.

You only need to pay for Mountain Lion if the computer isn't licensed for it.