Running off external drive - eject before sleep ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chanc, Jan 22, 2016.

1. chanc macrumors member

chanc

With the latest iMacs, I'm reading on this forum that many users are moving their user folders off to external drives, some are even booting off external drives. How do you handle the external drive when you want to sleep or shutdown the iMac ?

I normally eject all my external drives before putting my Mac to sleep. I'm waiting for my new iMac to arrive and I'm planning on putting my user folder on an external USB drive as the internal drive is only 256Gb (SSD).

2. iemcj macrumors 6502

iemcj

When it shuts off, it automatically ejects. When sleeping there's no problem either, the connection is essentially paused. If this was a problem, internal drives would have been destroyed years ago. I mean think about it, the only difference between an external and internal drive is one has longer wires lol.

So no need to eject anything before sleep. No need to eject before shutting off. ;)

3. chanc thread starter macrumors member

chanc

I agree with you, intuitively that makes sense. :) But with my current drives, I get a bunch of warning messages if the drive is not ejected before unplugging.