Running office 98 on iMac+OS 9.2.2 again?:O

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by luiguiv, Apr 25, 2008.

1. luiguiv macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum; hello to everyone. I'm not a regular Mac user, i just bought two imacs a few months ago just for the fun. They were working fine until yesterday system crashed so i decided to reinstall the system again. I wans´t aware that our EX-technician took away my software disks like office and stuff...he left some copies in which i found a office98 zipped in a 40mb or so file. I unpacked it on the mac and now i have a "Mac Microsoft Office 98 Folder" folder on my system, but when going inside of it i don´t see any executable in there...i called him and he says "it should work"...whatever i dont believe him anything...

Guys, is there a chance that if this zip contains the complete office98 y can make it usable again? before thinking of buying a copy on ebay?

Inside of it there are 3 files: Microsoft Excel, MIcrosoft PowerPoitn and MIcrosoft Word along with some folders: Templates, Word files, Clipart, XtraStuf.mac, Office, Readme and Share Applications. The first files have an icon like blank paper with some little lines on it like if it were a text file...after clicking on them, it says "This document is too large to be opened by SimpleText". Is there some folder inside this "Mac Microsoft Office 98 Folder" that i should move to System/Extensions or something?

Please help i need to get this office working (if it is possible at all) cuz buying the ebay cd will take a month to get to here :(

Thanks in advance...

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Do a 'get info' on the excel, powerpoint, word, and it'll tell you if they are 'applications' and you should be able to execute them.

He's more than likely right when he says "it should work"

Of course you can always click on them to see if they open. Would be quicker than waiting for more responses.

3. luiguiv thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

thanks for your help...i've done the get-info thing and it says:

Kind: SimpleText texto document

Size: 4.6MB

Where: disk: Mac Microsoft Office 98 Folder

for that size y think it is an executable thing...but i dont know if it is an executable, why is SimpleText answering when i double click those files: "This Document is too large to be opened by SimpleText"....should i uninstall simpleText in order to get this running?

thanks.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

look in the office folder.

Unsure about OS9 but are executables still *.app files in OS9?

If so, then that might be a start, look for .app files in the entire Microsoft Office 98 Folder.

4.6mb is a bit large. I bet those ARE the app files and simpletext is associated with opening them.

5. luiguiv thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i bet those are the executables too!!...

how could i change the file asociation of those files to the simpletext?

sorry bothering you with this, i'm a full mac newbie :apple: