Running on UPS power

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jjk454ss, Aug 2, 2010.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I am getting a message several times a day that my mac mini is running on UPS power. The power is fine though. It seems like maybe I just got a bad UPS, but is there anything I should look at before I exchange it?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

you may just be experiencing a small under-voltage (brown-out). If you have a window AC or something that draws a lot when it starts up (like a fridge) it can cause the UPS to kick in.

also in summer voltages tend to be a bit lower, due to everyone's higher power use. so if it's something you don't normally see happen, it could just be that it's warm out, and you're down a couple volts to start off. so when you drop a couple more, the ups kicks in.

do the lights dim a bit when it happens? would have to be a normal light bulb to really see a difference.

3. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

OK, thanks. That makes sense, the voltage is at 118-119, so not real low. I am normally not using the mini when it happens, the dialog boxes are just up when I do go to use it. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can't confirm that its a low voltage issue. It may be that it does it when my air kicks on or something. Thanks for the help.

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Is the message popping up via Growl? I recently upgraded my Tripp-lite 750VA UPS to a Cyberpower 1350 VA model. I never plugged the USB cable from the Tripp-lite into my Mac (I relied on manual powerdown if there was a power outage). With the Cyberpower, since I was on the floor anyway, I hooked up the USB cable. Growl reports me as being on USB power now. However, I think that it's Growl's way of saying you have a UPS connected, since I'm obviously on line power.

5. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

No, it's not Growl, it's an osx thing. Thanks