Running OneNote on a Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by braindead5400, Feb 23, 2011.

1. braindead5400 macrumors regular

I'm a PC user that's been waiting for the new MBPs to come out but I've had one reservation which is a lack of OneNote in Office for Mac. Having OneNote is critical to me (and I'm not seeking alternative programs) so my original plan was to use Bootcamp to install Windows 7 and run OneNote from there. I thought this was the only way but I saw something today and I can't figure out how the guy was doing it.

I was sitting in a meeting and the guy next to me had a 13" MBP. He was also using OneNote on it. At first I thought I missed some sort of Mac release for the program but that's apparently not true. He was in OSX so he wasn't using Bootcamp. He wasn't running it in a Windows "window" either, it looked just like any other OSX program. It even said "Microsoft OneNote" in the toolbar at the top of the screen next to the apple logo. I've looked into something called CrossOver thinking that was the solution but when you run a Windows program it says that you're using CrossOver at the top, not whatever Windows program you're in.

I've been trying to figure out how he was doing this but none of the solutions I've come across have shed any light. I don't know if I'll ever see this person again to ask them so I'm hoping someone has some ideas. If I wasn't aware of the fact that OneNote isn't available for Mac I wouldn't have known he was doing anything special. It looked that seamless and integrated.

Thanks

2. flipster macrumors 6502a

Ask him lol? Only thing I Could think of would be Crossover Mac, which doesnt always display it at the top -- it runs a lot of windows applications.

Just cuz' its crossover, doesnt mean that the top bar is gonna display "crossover mac" on it. applications are applications, whether windows or mac based. he was probably used Crossover Mac.

3. braindead5400 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I don't know if I'll be able to ask him which is why I'm asking. I'm still searching through YouTube videos and it looks like it may actually be Parallels 6 but I haven't found a video in English yet.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Parallels and VMWare both offer methods for this kind of integration between Windows VMs OS X.

Parallels calls it "Coherence Mode" and VMWare calls it "Unity".

B

5. braindead5400 thread starter macrumors regular

I finally found a video demonstrating what I saw. I'm 99% sure it was Parallels now. I didn't think that was possible before but I wasn't looking at Parallels 6 specific videos and most of them don't show what happens when you open a Windows program in Coherence mode.

Thanks

6. fhfuentes macrumors newbie

yes OneNote is a pretty incredible program.

i´ve gotten used to using it at work and see its potential uses to straighten out other topics in my life, so i too have been considering how to implement it on the mac.

i got copies of parallels 6, and office 2010 and am now running OneNote on my mac through "Coherence" mode, which makes the program run just like any other program on my Mac, ALMOST

the problem with running in Coherence mode is that OneNote, while seemingly running alongside all my other items, like browsers, word processors etc., will note grab items via a screen shot in OS X. Also, no such thing as docking to the desktop and linking notetaking with what i am doing in other programs because they`re operating in another OS.

FRUSTRATING!!!:mad:

any further ideas on integrating OneNote on the Mac would be appreciated.

7. Lacrosseboss18 macrumors newbie

fhfuentes - Whats your battery life like using Parallel - onenote. I was going to purchase my first MBP 13 this weekend but i dont want to give up onenote. I heard i would get 2-3 hours of battery. Is this about what your getting?
    Thanks

8. Bluezeno macrumors newbie

I definitely know what you mean. Being unable to grab items on onenote in my mac is one of the biggest disappointments. I have windows 7 and office 2010 installed JUST for the purpose of using Onenote on my macbook air (precious disc space). I've tried alternative mac softwares such as growlynotes, Devonnote, circusponies, macjournal, curio, etc. wasted tens of hours looking for a viable alternative and could not find one.

Damn, why couldn't MS just develop an office for mac? If anyone knows of a better integration method, it'll be so much appreciated.

9. CrudenBoy macrumors newbie

Just use Windows 7

I am very much in the same situation as you with having a MBP and wanting to use Onenote. The simplest solution is to only use Windows 7 software and not to start using the mac operating system.

Could someone tell me what am I missing out on by not using the Mac software?

10. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Why OneNote isn't a part of Office for Mac is beyond me.

11. Justicia macrumors newbie

I used onenote for school, work, personal, hobby...everything! It is absolutely the best software out there for keeping everything organized. I got fed up of my PC freezing on me and I bought a mac (18 months ago) I started by trying every software out there claiming to rival onenote. Circus ponies notebook, Journler,evernote and lastly mac word. NOTHING is comparable.
    So, I installed Parallels. Although it does work in coherence mode, it overheats the laptop and drains the battery by over twice its normal capacity. You cant easily print because you have to refer to everything on your HD as a network. Files that you want to open on your mac may prompt Windows to start, etc...argh!
    Im actually considering buying a PC again!
    MAC: How on earth is it that you have not yet made this program available? THat has got to be the world's 8th wonder!!!

12. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Just to clarify, spelling "Mac" in all caps is something entirely different than a Apple Mac.

And Microsoft's Mac development team is actually the one to blame there. I agree though, OneNote should absolutely be a part of Office for Mac. Even if they wanted to make it a separate download at this point (to integrate into a later version of Office), that would be fine. I just wish they'd offer it!