Running OS X on a G4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JLEW700, Jan 28, 2009.

1. JLEW700 macrumors 6502

My girlfriends G4 is acting up so i think im just gonna reinstall the operating system. She is currently running whatever operating system the G4 came with. I am wondering if i can just use my OS X disc that came with my macbook and install OS X on here G4????

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Like Tallest Skil said, impossible... and for two reasons:
    1) The MacBook Restore DVD's do a "system check" before installing to find out if those DVD's belong to that Mac you are trying to install on: and nope.
    2) A MacBook is an Intel based machine, and a G4 is PowerPC based machine... Two totally different CPU types. Mac OS X Restore DVD's (Tiger and Leopard) for MacBooks are Intel (x86)-only.
    You need either a PowerPC version of Tiger (like the original Retail DVD's), or if it's a fast enough G4 (867 MHz) the Universal (thus PowerPC AND Intel) Retail Leopard DVD.

3. JLEW700 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. claimed4all macrumors 6502

If you do buy OS X 10.5, I currently have my parents on a Quicksilver G4 867mhz, with 1gb ram and it runs like a champ for them. The most intense chore they do is manage their iPhoto library, about 25,000 pics, and surf the internet. So the average non power user.

Just thought I would let you know how it runs.