Running OSX on a power mac G3 mini tower?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cplusON3R, May 29, 2007.

1. cplusON3R macrumors regular

so I was cleaning out my attic and found my old beige G3 mini tower. (I was pretty excited). anyway, it boots up perfectly like the day I brought it home back in 97.

I have done almost everything I can think of to keep it up to date thru-out the years, (upgraded video ram, proccessor, i/o card, max out my ram slots, bigger master HD 2 slaves. It was running at 233MHz for awhile but then I bought the sonnet zif G4 700MHz to keep up with my art directors quicksilver G4 in early 2000. oh yeah.. Its still running OS9.1

would it be worth it to have it run OSX? can it handle it or is it a loss cause:(

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

10.2 out of the box and then 10.3/10.4 with XPostFacto.

3. cplusON3R thread starter macrumors regular

wow, that was quicker than expected.. I actually just 'found' 10.2 about an hour ago.. good times. thanks, mang!:)

4. RacerX macrumors 65832

With the help of a video card, 10.3 will run quite nicely on that system... I have 10.3.9 on my Beige G3 (G4/550, ATI Radeon 7000 with 32 MB of VRAM).

It plays DVDs nicely too with that card.

5. cplusON3R thread starter macrumors regular

good call.. :thumbsup:

one problem now. apparently I have to reformat my external HD to grab/save files. ack.. I wasnt thinking lastnight. is there anyway around this or will I have to revert back to OS9 then burn all those files onto a dvd, reformat the HD then send'em all back? :confused: