Running OSX Snow Leopard in VMware Player?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SlickShoes, Apr 19, 2012.

1. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

Hi, this may seem like an odd request but is it possible to run OSX as a virtual machine whilst I am running Windows 7 on Apple Hardware?

The reason for this is, I work in a university and we run "ethical hacking" labs, they currently run XP with access to lots of XP and linux virtual machines, however now they want to also look at using OSX too. Obviously we need apple hardware to do this legally. Ideally the set up would be apple hardware(an imac) with Windows 7 installed, then in VMware students can run Windows/Linux/OSX images to mess around with rather than breaking an actual install of OSX on the machine.

I had a quick look on google and the only stuff I could find was about illegal was of doing this by downloading specifically created files and cracked OS versions from torrent sites.

If anyone has any info on this that would be greatly appreciated!

2. Guiyon, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Not with your current setup. If you want to use either Leopard or Snow Leopard, only the Server allows virtualization with the requirement that you have a separate license for each guest instance and that you be running Apple-branded hardware.

The Lion license, however, was updated to allow up to 2 guest instances per license with the caveat that they must be run on Apple hardware and with Mac OS X as the host.

Your best bet would be to give up on running Windows as the host on an iMac, just use Mac OS X and then create whatever VMs you need (with the above limitations for Mac OS X VMs)

3. SlickShoes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers for the advice! The bit I have bolded was what I originally thought they would do but our IT department really hate macs for some reason and wanted the host to be windows but if this is not possible that is good news for me, thanks again.