Running out of space on my hard drive...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chioschick, May 12, 2012.

1. chioschick macrumors newbie

I have a 4 year old MBP 15', 250 GB - which I use primarily as storage and synch device for my iPhone, iPad and iPods. I like to have all my data in one place - but now I'm running out of space on my hard drive. I guess, I have several options:
    - add an external drive
    - buy a new Mac Book
    - buy a Mac Mini
    - ?

What would you do? :confused:

And - in case I'm going for the external drive - which kind of data is best stored there - iPhoto or iTunes media?

Looking forward to your advice!
    Best, Christine

2. simsaladimbamba

To find out, where you hard drive capacity is being used, you can use the following free applications:
    Maybe try a combination of several.

Anyway, you could replace the existing HDD with a bigger one and use the old for backups (which I hope you already do to some extent).
    Or you go the Optibay route and add another HDD.
    MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

Or you get any external Firewire 800 or USB 2.0 HDD you want and store your iTunes and iPhoto library there. You can even use a mobile 1 TB HDD for that.

3. chioschick thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

Thanks a lot, simsaladimbamba!

Silly me, I wasn't even aware I could change the HDD! That's definitely the option I will go for.
    Looking at your manual, I'll probably engage our local Apple service provider :) - I think that is a safer bet...

Again, thanks a million!

4. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Replacing the HD on MBPs is really easy AFAIK, plus it doesn't void your warranty (though since this computer's a few years old I'm guessing that expired already anyway). Hard drives are quite cheap too, you can get a 1TB drive for about £120 :)

5. simsaladimbamba

If it is the pre-unibody model, then probably yes. If it is a Unibody model though, replacing the HDD is quite easy, as long as you can use a screwdriver.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

7. chioschick thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all!

I'm typing this on my MacBook which now holds a 1TB HDD. Yeppeeeeyyyyy :D