Running out of space on my SSD!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IffySituation, Mar 29, 2014.

1. IffySituation macrumors member

Hi all, Im running out of space on my Crucial M500 480GB ssd in my mid 2010 13' MBP 10.9/2.4/8GB/480GB/320M. So heres the deal i went through my drive and archived and deleted a bunch of files such as music, apps, and documents. The Hdd viewer in iStat menus didn't change after did all that, i thought i'd see at least a small change in the space available, but no luck. I have restarted and repaired perms. Any ideas? Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

4. IffySituation thread starter macrumors member

Yes thanks, I did empty trash, and i just disabled TM local BU's, I'll read the post by Seb and see what else he has to say, thanks for the input!

5. IffySituation, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

IffySituation thread starter macrumors member

Wow

WOW! I used OmniDiskSweeper, very good app as i have tried the others earlier in my PPC days. ODS is not graphical which is perfectly fine, (i can read)

So it looks like Application Support is large with Steam, Mobile Sync and Crossover taking 30GB. I can live without Crossover, and maybe a couple less Steam Games, but what about Mobile Sync? I have 4 iPhn 5's, 1 iPad4, and 1 iPod Touch, I should probably save that.

Deleting more Music and Pictures is out of the question, although I could offload my iPhoto library to an external and point iPhoto there. That seems like a PITA though from a usage standpoint.

Anyway I appreciate the information "simsalad........."
    You are one of the many folks that make MacRumors awesome, Thanks.

Attached Files:

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

OK you have almost 200 GB in movies, music and photos - that is a low estimate, probably a large part of "other" also falls into this category.

So I would suggest to look into some alternative storage for some of that music or movies, instead of cutting on the small amount of stuff that is in Application Support. Do you really need a few weeks worth of music on the laptop all the time?

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

MobileSync contains all your iDevices' backups.

Like it or not, you're going to have to move your media (pictures and movies especially) off to an external drive.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is your iOS backups through iTunes. Looks like you have six iOS devices backed up there, so I am guessing some of those are devices you no longer own.

Open iTunes and command-comma to get to prefs and look in the Devices tab. Remove any iOS devices from that list that you no longer own and that will remove the file from the Mobilebackups folder.

9. IffySituation thread starter macrumors member

Well this is the main family room Mac that my wife and I and our 2 sons use all the time. This holds everyones music (kids) and photos (wife) and no one wants to use the late 2012 MacMini 2.3 in the Bsmt which I don't understand, or even the late 2005 PMG5 2.3DP. Its a little chilly down there in the winter.

Its the portability that everyone likes, makes it easy to use. I could put the iPhoto libraries on the MacMini and make my wife use it down there or even screen share the mini (probably laggy that way though)

I thought about going back to a 2TB spinning drive, but thats not an option, way too slow after using an ssd for over a year.
    Also thought about getting a M550 1TB SSD but at $500+ not until prices come down again.

Anyway this mid 2010 is still quite useful at 4 years old, its probably time to upgrade this MBP for my wife and I and let the kids use this one.

I'll figure something out as I have just gained 60+GB back with ODS

1 more quick question, do all new rMBP's come with PCIe mSATA drives or standard 2.5 SSD's?
    I would think that mSATA's are harder to upgrade unless done by someone like OWC

Thank you all for your input

----------

Thanks I do have 6 devices: 4-iPhn 5's, 1-iPad4, 1-iPod touch

10. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

11. IffySituation thread starter macrumors member

Update

I found 2 areas of interest found with ODS
    In my stupidity trying to encrypt my USB drive that hangs off my keys, using Disk Utility, I created a 32GB disk image that instead of encrypting my USB key made a disk image that was saved in my Documents folder...Duh...Deleted!

I know just enough about my Mac to get into trouble, Ha!

The other is Previous iTunes Libraries x2 as shown in the pic, 1 has actual itunes files, the other does not.
    I just listened to The Mac Geek Gab show where they talked about this type of situation, I'll have to go back and listen to their proposed solution.

Attached Files:

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

PCIe and mSATA are completely different. mSATA is basically just a SATA3 drive in a blade form.

2.5" SSDs are regular drives with a SATA3 bus.

PCIe is PCIe, which operates at 700+MB/s (SATA3 drives can only max out at around 520MB/s)

13. IffySituation thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, so most new rMBP are PCIe then? Who uses mSATA?

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Only mid-2012 and early-2013 (both are Ivy Bridge) rMBPs use blade-mSATA.
    Late-2013 (Haswell) rMBPs use blade-PCIe.

15. IffySituation thread starter macrumors member

16. Dawee675 macrumors newbie

Uregent help needed

Screen Shot 2014-03-30 at 12.24.34.png ok so im not the best with macs more of a windows person but got a mac and now this has happened ive went through that harddrive and looked everywhere it says i have 500,000 files on it but i dont and cannot locate them, my mac should have about 500gb free of space not the ewntire harddrive full and sometimes it jumps up and down in size, dunno what to do here and please dont go off on a tech bomb just keep it simple on how i can fix this thanks

17. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Get OmniDiskSweeper and see what on earth's taking up so much space :)

18. Dawee675 macrumors newbie

help

no luck mate any other suggestions, macbook is so slow now takes ages to start and crashes constantly

19. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

More than likely these are local snapshots by time machine. Not a big deal.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14329

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Open Terminal from /Applications/Utilities and paste in the command below then enter. You will be asked for your password and it will take a couple minutes to run.

When it gets done you will have a list of all the base folders on your machine and the size in GB of each folder. Post that output up here and we can help you out.

Code:
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /
    Also, you might try a command-r boot to recovery and run Disk Utility from there and do a repair disk to check for any disk errors.

21. OldMacUser macrumors member

OldMacUser

Here is a tip that can save you some GBs of space on your SSD. It was way more useful when SSDs were smaller in capacity, but could still come in handy given the amount of iDevices you have.

Moving iTunes Backup folder to external hard drive

The caveat here is that if the external is not mounted when a device is sync'ed, then it would not be backed up.