Running Parallels 6 from USB 2.0?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Casey01, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Casey01 macrumors member

So right now I'm in the market for an External Hard Drive because I only have a 100GB HDD and I need a place to backup my Mac, place my .cr2 (RAW) photos, and run a few other Operating Systems via Parallels 6.

I wouldn't see there being any problems with Backing Up and placing my photos using a USB Ext. HDD but would Parallels run slower if I put them on a USB 2.0? or should I look for a FireWire 400 Ext. HDD instead?

The only problem with the latter is that it seem they are a bit more expensive than just a USB 2.0 Hard Drive.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's going to run kinda slow from an external in general. I also see you have a Core Duo, so the 2GB RAM limit is likely going to be more of an issue than having it on an external hard drive.

3. Casey01 thread starter macrumors member

Okay then, so my best bet is to get a 1TB USB 2.0 HDD instead? And just scrap using Parallels at all? (Ubuntu runs pretty well on it though)

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Upgrade the internal hard drive. Running the OS through USB 2.0 or Firewire will be a pain.

Backup all of your Hard drive's contents using Carbon Copy Cloner or whatever, take that drive out, go buy a 320 or 500gb one from the store, and restore using the disks and get your old machine back with more space.