Running parallels with bootcamp and file sharing

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by packcubsmu, Feb 8, 2015.

1. packcubsmu macrumors newbie

I am getting a Macbook Pro tomorrow but I need to be able to run windows on it. I am hoping to be able to run parallels most of the time, but be able to go into boot camp if I need more power. What I'm wondering about is if I can still do file sharing in this situation and what are the logistics of it (i.e. where files can be shared, are all file systems shared, etc.). If anyone could also explain to me how I would go about setting this up too that would be greatly appreciated.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Between OS X and Windows in Parallels, file sharing is a piece of cake (just enabled the appropriate shared options in the VM's settings). No additional software needed.

Between OS X and Windows in Boot Camp, you don't have to install anything to read between platforms, but you have to install Paragon NTFS in OS X to write to the BC partition, and Paragon HFS+ in Windows to write to the OS X partition. These two are paid software.

3. Forum-User macrumors newbie

Parallels Desktop allows running BC partition

There is a Parallels knowledge base article I followed to handle what you describe. To keep things in synch, I used the first option of setting Parellels Desktop to use Bootcamp partition. Here is the article (http://kb.parallels.com/en/112941). Be aware of Bootcamp's limitations, such as: requiring a full backup and reinstall to change the Windows partition size unless you pay for WinClone, and Time Machine not including any Windows data.

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

If you use Windows 8 or higher you're going to run into a problem with your Windows activation.
    The Bootcamp installation and the Parallels installation are two different computers, according to the terms of the Microsoft license, and each require their own different activation key.
    Windows 7 had the same license restriction but the detection wasn't built in like it is now in Windows 8.

5. packcubsmu thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, this seems like the option that I am looking for.
    But if I am to do as is used in the example above, would I need two licenses????????

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Yep. Microsoft says quite clearly that a virtual installation is considered a separate computer. Server farms could run thousands of Windows installations and only pay for one license so they wrote the terms to cover things like that. That's not what you're doing, of course, and if you call the Microsoft 800 number and explain you'll probably be ok but you will have to call. Otherwise your Windows will deactivate every time you switch between Bootcamp and Parallels.